Hi, newbie question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Hi, newbie question

I just got my first hamster about a month ago. She's a 3 or 4 month old teddy bear. Oh so cute. Today i noticed that she keeps rubbing the sides of her body on everything as if to scratch an itch (the same thing dogs do to scratch their sides). Is this a problem or something to be concerned with? I can't find anything about this anywhere. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

I'm *not* 100% postive, but I *think* that she is getting her scent on things. My hammy has recently started this (or maybe I'm just noticing it now?), and I'm pretty sure I read that they are getting their scent on things. Does she do it after recent cage cleanings? My hammy usually does it about a day after I clean her cage. Whatever it is, it's nothing to worry about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 AM

What kind of substrate are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

If by substrate you mean bedding, I have Pestell (tm) canadian pine.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 03:42 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Pine is bad, so is cedar. Have you thought about using aspen or CareFresh bedding?

Now I'm thinking I'm wrong, and maybe it isn't normal. But I use aspen bedding...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

I know cedar is bad, deadly even but I thought only the scented stuff was bad. This stuff is directly marketed for small pets such as hamsters. I will try a new bedding and write to the manufacturer if she stops. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

There is another bedding I use and have good luck with it.It is a kiln dried pine made by American Choice.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:32 AM

Wink

like LilSouthPaw said, it could be the bedding or your hammy might just be getting its scent on things..I reccommend using the cardboard bedding, thats what I usually use for my hammy..its safe and you dont have to worry about it having 'fumes' or anything(or big splinters, like I know pine has sometimes).
another problem might just be because your hammy may have fleas. check to see if this is the case(just look through your hammy's fur to see if there are any fleas) and if there are fleas, I reccommend you use "8 in 1 Ultra Care Flea and Tick Spray for small animals". I also use this for my hamster. It works very well. follow the directions on the bottle.(you just spray it generously all over your hamsters body, except the head, making sure it gets to the skin. I hold my hammy in an old [clean] hand towel until she dries off to make sure she doesnt lick herself and get the stuff into her blood stream. make sure also to not put him/her into the cage until s/he dries, and keep and eye on him/her to make sure s/he doesnt lick him/herself if your not keeping him/her in a towel to dry)

Last edited by Sigaru; 05-30-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Tags
cage cleaning, carefresh bedding, kiln dried, teddy bear