Homemade Hamster Diet - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Homemade Hamster Diet

I currently have 3 Russian Campbells hamsters who are diabetes prone I am currently picking out SO much of their food and what they can have half they dont eat I am wasting so much money I just want to make a custom diet ... Anyone make their own or have any ideas?

After doing some research I am trying to figure out how to get daily percentages out of how many grams of protein and fat are in each item.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 10-09-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Honestly; in my opinion that's too much work. Critters know how much of what they need to consume to live long and healthy, I'd personally just provide a wide array of what they're naturally designed to eat.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I haven't had a hamster with Diabetes before (I've mostly had Syrians) but I'd probably do a diet consisting of seeds/grains with a low glycemic index such as barley and rye plus whole gut-loaded insects and worms (mealworms, earthworms, crickets, etc.). I'd also feed fresh plants in small amounts...grasses, clovers, sprouts, etc. Nothing sugary, rich, or watery.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I always give fresh veggies proper protein etc ... Its the main diet mix I am having a problem with ... so far I have these seeds

Seed protein in 1 cup fat in 1 cup
White millet 22g 8g
Sunflower seeds 3g 128g
flax seeds 31g 71g
rolled oats 11g 5g
lentils 50g 2g
pumpkin seeds 40g 60g
sesame seeds 26g 72g
Wheat germ 27g 11g
peanuts 38g 72g
Safflower
Barley 23g 4g
Canary grass seed
oat groats 8g 4g

As for critters knowing whats best for them cats eat toxic plants all the time dogs eat chocolate one of my hamsters ate metal

Proud Mommy to-

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

..My statement was generalized. If given a wide array of their natural foods, animals instinctively know how many calories of different things they need to consume which is why you don't offer a few foods or a majority of one thing and little of another.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

did you see the above list? and diabetic hams will consume too much sugar and fat even given variety

Proud Mommy to-

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
I always give fresh veggies proper protein etc ... Its the main diet mix I am having a problem with ... so far I have these seeds

Seed protein in 1 cup fat in 1 cup
White millet 22g 8g
Sunflower seeds 3g 128g
flax seeds 31g 71g
rolled oats 11g 5g
lentils 50g 2g
pumpkin seeds 40g 60g
sesame seeds 26g 72g
Wheat germ 27g 11g
peanuts 38g 72g
Safflower
Barley 23g 4g
Canary grass seed
oat groats 8g 4g

As for critters knowing whats best for them cats eat toxic plants all the time dogs eat chocolate one of my hamsters ate metal
What I said in my post still applies...low glycemic index seeds along with the stuff you're apparently already feeding (veggies and insects). If you're feeding whole insects, a few types of seed, and occasional plants then that's enough variety. No need to complicate things, hamsters don't eat dozens of seed types in the wild .

I don't know all of those seeds off the top of my head so you'll need to look up nutritional data.

If I had to come up with a possible diet off the top of my head right this second I'd do:

60% consisting of mix containing lentils, flax seeds, barley, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, small amount of sunflower seeds, small amount of split peas, small amount of whole oats, occasional nuts (peanuts and almonds)

20% consisting of whole insects (mealworms, crickets, earthworms, etc.) and eggs (chicken and/or quail)

10% grasses/plants (red clovers, garlic mustard, different types of grass, sprouts, dandelion greens, wood sorrel, etc.)

10% vegetables and flowers (leafy lettuces, nasturtiums, marigolds, rose petals/hips, etc.)

That's what I would do, anyway. There isn't a ton of data out there on the species' native diet (such as how much animal matter they consume) so it's partially a guess.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Its just the seed mix I am having trouble with and its a little more complicated because the protein and fat needs also I did look up the nutrition facts those are whats next to them fat and protein the main things you need to look at with hams all are fairly low in natural sugars.

Proud Mommy to-

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
Its just the seed mix I am having trouble with and its a little more complicated because the protein and fat needs also I did look up the nutrition facts those are whats next to them fat and protein the main things you need to look at with hams all are fairly low in natural sugars.
It's really not as complicated as you think it is . Is there a reason you require very specific fat/protein needs? If you do, maybe post the values you want to achieve with your mix so we can help.

I'm aware that you need to limit fat for captive hamsters (the mix I posted limits some of the higher fat ingredients, if you noticed) but I don't believe the needs are that specific. Again, we don't actually know what they eat in the wild (unless you found a paper that I don't know about...I haven't looked into this in years since I no longer keep hamsters) and it would vary by season, anyway.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Well they have high protein needs though I am not sure ... I think 23% is decent for the mix this was often brought up on my old hamster forum and no more than 5% fat.

and I am just a paranoid owner and want them to have the best. Some of the seeds are hard to find but I will.

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

To figure out percentages you're going to need to know how much you'll be mixing up at a time .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I would be mixing about 2 lbs at a time thats enough for my hammies for over 2 months. With my cat food that equates to about 8 cups ... Hmm ... I wonder if that could be the key to figuring it out ...

8-12 cups at a time ... So that could help me figure out how much of each I would need to be using.

Proud Mommy to-

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you're including cat food in the mix you're going to need to look up how much protein and fat your cat food contains. I would also decide about how much of your mix will be cat food (if that's your plan, anyway) so you can figure out the seed ratios based on that .

But yes, you need to know how much you're making at a time to calculate percentages. I can help you but right now you have so many ingredients that we need to narrow things down a bit .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

No no no lol it was just my cat has small pelleted food so I was comparing how many cups per pound.

I want to keep at the very least this as the base and I can give others as treats ...

White Millet
Barley
Lentils
rolled oats
flax seeds
And I would like to have buck wheat or something similar in it

Thats the very least the more seeds the better they need variety.

Treats would be
pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
raw peanuts
sesame seeds

I would be making about 10 cups at a time.

I REALLY appreciate it ... Will you give me a recipe I can try when you are done?

And sugar fiber carbs and fat are what I need to look out for.

Proud Mommy to-

Last edited by Elliriyanna; 10-12-2011 at 09:52 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm heading to bed but I'll crunch the numbers tomorrow . Do you know the protein and fat content for the buckwheat?

~Stephanie