Homemade Mixes - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Homemade Mixes

Also links to previous discussions would be great.

I would like to make my own hamster food, and I'm looking for a list of suitable items to put in it. I will have lab blocks and timothy/alfalfa hay pellets, as well as things you can get at bulk food stores, like seeds, oats, etc. But need to know what. Anyone else do this? I'm looking for pointers as well as specifics, and what to avoid. I'll be food pooling with 3 other people with dwarf hamsters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:31 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Since you have a dwarf hamster it's important that you avoid sugary foods since dwarfs tend to be more prone to diabetes. This includes dried fruits (common in a lot of small animal mixes). I would only feed fruits as occasional treats and not include them in the mix itself.

Some other things you can mix in are dried herbs and vegetables (dried carrots are easy to find but don't overdo it...they are high in sugar for a vegetable), high quality dog food, sugar-free cereals, nuts (cashews are good but all nuts should be limited because of fat), and pumpkin seeds.

Remember to offer fresh foods too like vegetables and grasses. Hamsters also need some animal protein in their diet...this can include dog food, dog biscuits, eggs, mealworms, and crickets.

Don't feed citrus fruits, kidney beans, potatoes, onions, garlic, rhubarb, chocolate, foods made for rabbits (because of the antibiotics found in rabbit foods), almonds (because of cyanic acid), eggplant, apple seeds, leeks, scallions, chives, pickles, and iceberg lettuce. That's just a general list of unsafe foods...if you aren't sure if some thing's safe than it's best to not feed it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Will It Ever Change?

what about that suebee's diet? would that, or a variation on that, be okay sasami?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
what about that suebee's diet? would that, or a variation on that, be okay sasami?
That would work but I wouldn't feed the dried fruits that are usually recommended because of the diabetes risk. You'd also want more seeds than grains and not a lot of sunflower seeds.

Basically, you'd want to feed a version of that diet with less sugar and fat with more seeds .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! I've already planned on mixing in a little holistic dog food/biscuits, hay cubes, and dried veggies.... where might I find good dried veggies?

Are there any certain lentils or seeds that may be good?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardGirl View Post
Thank you! I've already planned on mixing in a little holistic dog food/biscuits, hay cubes, and dried veggies.... where might I find good dried veggies?

Are there any certain lentils or seeds that may be good?

I didn't know there were different kinds of lentils, to be honest .

Flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds are good .

The health food store here sells some dried vegetables...you might have to look around.

~Stephanie

Tags
alfalfa hay, dog biscuits, dog food, dried fruit, dried fruits, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, hamster food, hay cubes, health food store, high quality dog food, lab block, lab blocks, pumpkin seeds, quality dog food, rabbit food, sunflower seeds