Housing Teddy Bear Hamsters Together - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Merlin that is very neat about those three, but I think it's a 1 in 100 chance of something like that happening.
I think the reason some people can't belive it is b/c it's very rare, also by saying "most syrains are fine together" get's people on the defencive b/c young kids will read this, say it's ok get two syrians and wodner why they killed one another a week later. Young people new to hamsters will read the "yes you can" and not the rest of the information. From my own experiacne reading on many different pet boards I have seen this happen.
I even know someone who has kept male mice together, that to can be a rare instance, as more often they do attack one another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:41 PM

Yeah I guess I should have put the whole story first. It is not likely that 2 syrain hamster that have never seen each other before will get along, I think it is a safe bet that one will end up dead or seriously injured. But in my case, with these 3 females that have lived together all their lives, I thnk it is fine.

And I also think that if you want hamsters to live together than not to get syrains but dwarfs. Sorry for the confusion. And I understand what all of you are saying about not houseing them together.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:07 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaS15
Merlin that is very neat about those three, but I think it's a 1 in 100 chance of something like that happening.
I think the reason some people can't belive it is b/c it's very rare, also by saying "most syrains are fine together" get's people on the defencive b/c young kids will read this, say it's ok get two syrians and wodner why they killed one another a week later. Young people new to hamsters will read the "yes you can" and not the rest of the information. From my own experiacne reading on many different pet boards I have seen this happen.
I even know someone who has kept male mice together, that to can be a rare instance, as more often they do attack one another.
Me,my sister and my friend all have succesfully raised up male mice together from birth.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Me,my sister and my friend all have succesfully raised up male mice together from birth.
Me too! I used to keep mice and if males were raised together they would get along fine it was when you had to introduce them that fights could occur.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM

as a kid i had male mice together that were litter mates and they actually ate each other. so never again will i try that.
they were awsome mice too, both long haired. one silver and one calico.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Me too! I used to keep mice and if males were raised together they would get along fine it was when you had to introduce them that fights could occur.
Yeah,thats the only time we have had problems...if we tried introducing males from different litters.But from the same litters,if we never seperated them at all,they lived together no problem!

I once had 2 brothers living together and when one died,the other greived and pined away a week later!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

if the males are neutered in most cases you can house them together, same litter or not..... i have housed mice and rats together...hamsters and mice...hamsters mice and rats (the hamsters were campbell)...ect...however..i have experience and know my pets behavior well enough to make a decision...with syrians...well...they never really seem nice to other animals..lol...so when i saw how the pet store guy had all his hamsters that were syrian living together like it was no big deal i was blown away...there are exceptions with every animal..and i thought...how can you possibly have that many "exceptions" to the rule living together under the same roof...i ve had syrians for 4yrs and during that time i didnt make any of my unusual and unconvential pairings using these animals...so im always into seeing the unthinkable happen

i dont like to go by the book on every little thing...i am fond, Merlin, of the fact that you were able to keep them together, its unusal but hey odd stuff does happen...i wish you had some pics...i would have loved to see the lil guys..

on the other hand, i realize that like jenna said that for the most part housing syrians together is a no- no...bc it s true...most people who had no idea about syrains would say hey lets get a bunch of them...but to someone that has had them their entire life...i think after years and years of experience in safely handling those pets by the book they can make and educated observation and make that call (just like i made the call to raise hammies, mice and rats together)

thats just my own personal opinion and i respect everyone else's beliefs

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

Last edited by Skratikans; 08-29-2006 at 08:13 PM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I currently have two male littermates living together with no problems so far. I understand that problems may arise and am prepared to separate them immediately if/when they do. They just seem so happy together, sleeping cuddled up and grooming each other, that I don't want to separate them unnecessarily.

Anyway, we should probably give this thread back to the hamsters...
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 PM

housing hamsters together

as a general rule hamster are supposed to be housed together. However as with anything sometimes there are exceptions to the rule although very rare.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 11:29 AM

Red face Housed together?

Hi I just want to clear up some of this mess that has assumed teddy bear hamsters can be housed together. This is not the case for me. I have been breeding Syrians for 6 years now and all my females and males are all housed together as long as there is enough room for the "colony" that it is in there they will not fight. I am not saying this works for every hamster but for mine it does so long as there is enough room food water housing etc. As well as the space they are living in. My males are in one housing unit and my females are in another. So long as they have enough room they do not fight. Don't get me wrong I have had a few who can not be housed together more dominate ones but in general all of mine do fine with being together no fight

Tags
bear hamster, doing fine, litter mates, local pet store, male mice, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, pet stores, social animals, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster, teddy bear hamsters