"How did you get here?" Gerbil Story - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

"How did you get here?" Gerbil Story

I live in a two story home.
Downstairs I have my "rodent room" -

I was upstairs last night watching a movie, playing with 2 of my gerbils Chevy & Jimmy (who I am trying to intro) while the bunnies ran around on the floor. Every once and a while the buns would come up to see what i was doing, pull on my pant legs and such. My dog was on the otherside of the 'gate' i have to keep her away from the bunnies while they are out.
All of a sudden i feel someone or something run over my foot! ???
The bunnies are relaxing in the middle of the room, I have both boy gerbils with me on my lap, and the dog is still sitting by the gate.
So i look down and find Audi my pied black girl running across my living room floor.
I was so confused.
Where did she come from?
I quicky put the boys into their split tank, look over the at dog who's still sitting and watching, and the bunnies who are still relaxing.

When i put my hands out of the floor and ask Audi "how did you get here?" she hops up into my hand.
I take her downstairs and find she has pushed a block of wood that was covering a hole in the lid of her tank (it's a fish tank lid, i'm kinda outta lids). she climbed all the way down off the big shelf (see picture), and decided to come UP the stairs, past the dog, around the bunnies to viset me.
She could have gone ANYWHERE in my unfinished basement, but she chose up the stairs to where i was.

Audi, you are a silly, but wonderful girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:22 PM

LOL! Silly Audi! 8) Good that she came to you and not to some of the dangers out there!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Audi chose you because she loves you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Wow, I'm glad you found her!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Audi was pretty smart to get out of that cage....

Last edited by Roxy; 04-21-2006 at 07:32 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Gerbils are sometimes WAY to smart.
I switched the lid with my other 20G tall, and put cardbord over the lid with holes and taped them down. So hopefully the gerbils in there now won't be smart enough to figure out how to get out of this newly improved lid.
I'm hoping when i get paid at the end of the month I can buy a real lid for that tank.
It sure is scarey thinking what 'could' happen, I'm glad my gerbils are very tame and love/trust me as much as they do.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM

that is a great story, I mean with her down stairs she climbed upstairs to you, that is so cute that she did that, and come to you too thats cute. And she is a very pretty gerbil too. where did you get the tops to your tanks? I need some for mine, I am converting to tanks because of sore noses. does the water bottle have a slot for it? thats the problem I am having with the tanks, I bought a high rise for a top but I don't like it I don't like the type of wheel it has, it is wire and above ground it looks dangerous to me. there isn't a place for the water bottle either.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

I buy lids in the reptile section for my lids (not the fish tank lid she got out of). Usually 10G tops are $10 and 20G tops are $20, and it goes up from there.
I hang all my water bottles on the side inside the tank, it works well.

Audi is a special girl, Last year she won second place in the AGS online show in pied class. She's from a litter I had (I kept all my babies) and like most of my gerbils we are all very bonded. It's really nice to have gerbs that trust you. This is not the first time she has escaped a tank, I used to be real bad are remembering to put my lids back on (DOH).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 10:25 PM

I know the trust is so sweet, my Nibbles is very trusting with me I have kept all of my babies too, now I have 17. I didn't know that they had shows for gerbils, thats interesting. I will check the reptile aisle next time I go to the pet store

Tags
fish tank, pet store