how many can fit? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Red face how many can fit?

i want to get some gerbils , but don't know how many will be able to fit in what size cage. how many would live happily in a 20, 30, or 40 gallon tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:10 PM
Zoo Keeper

10 gallons per gerbil is the best rule of thumb more could probably fit but not as happily

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

ok, thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my babies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

My German Shepherd Dog, Reba

My Palomino horse, Buiscet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Zoo Keeper

No problem

Proud Mommy to-

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Playful Pup

The American Gerbil Society recommends a minimum of 10 US gallons for 1 to 2 gerbils, and 1 extra gerbil per 5 extra US gallons after that.

However, I'd go for a minimum of 20 US gallons for 1 to 2 gerbils, and preferably an extra 10 US gallons for each gerbil after that. Pretty much like Elliriyanna said In a 30 gallon tank I'd say 4 maximum, for a 40 I'd say 5 maximum. Bigger is always better though!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Zoo Keeper

I wouldn't even put my mouse in a ten gallon UGH that really bothers me that thats the rule

Proud Mommy to-

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

i deffinetley wouldnt put 1 or 2 gerbils in a 10 gallon! i'll probably get a 30 gallon or 35 gallon, because thats the largest that id be able to fit. so id get either 2 or 3 gerbils

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Playful Pup

If you think that's bad, I have a hamster book that says 10 US Gallons is okay for 4 adult dwarf hamsters!

Europeans have higher recommendations, of course. One dutch site says 15 US Gallons for 1 or 2 gerbils, 30 US Gallons for 4 to 8 gerbils. Another dutch site says 15 US Gallons for 1 to 2 gerbils, and an extra 5 US Gallons per extra gerbil. In Austria, a tank for gerbils has to be 50 US Gallons minimum by law. And Germany recommends 65 US Gallons.

Last edited by genevie; 09-14-2011 at 02:08 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Zoo Keeper

I like the last two But I think the 20 for 2, 30 for 3 and so forth is more realistic and would make them happier than the standards set up most places

ALSO they need very deep bedding metal wheels but not the bar type and you should put in things to chew daily

Proud Mommy to-

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

yeah i would never put 4 dwarf hamsters in a 10 gallon tank. thats terrible!

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Zoo Keeper

I would never put 1 dwarf in a ten gallon ... or a mouse even

Proud Mommy to-

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

it isnt good enough ventilation for them anyways

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Zoo Keeper

Thats my main issue I wish they would make a tank with hard mesh built into the sides .. I would buy it ... Clarity AND ventilation

Proud Mommy to-

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

yes!! that would be awesome, i would buy it too.

i love my babies

My dwarf
Minnie

My teddy/black bear
Pickles

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Playful Pup

That would be so awesome, someone should make one A cheap one! A 20 US Gallon (long) tank is about £40 here new, that's about $65

Tags
cages, tank size