How old does a Hamster have to be before you can sell it to a pet store? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

How old does a Hamster have to be before you can sell it to a pet store?

No one I know will take the hamsters so I have to sell them to the local pet store. Does anyone know how old they need to be before I can sell them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

You can take them from the mom at 4 weeks. Are you sure it is your last option, to sell them to a pet store? They might not be taken care of properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 04:06 AM

I can understand if the litter was an accident and you dont want it...but a good post on CraigsList will attract some good folks too.

Not to mention like CrWoody stated, they wont be taken care of properly most likely. In fact, if you dont sex them your self they will probably be put in a tank to inbreed.

I was lucky with my litter and had three taken by the same family.
The type of family that also believes pets are family and should never be re-homed or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:18 AM
Hello Earthling

Try Montreal kijiji site, before you go to the pet store to sell them.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I have.

I've tried kijiji, posting it here, posting a sign up at work...

See the problem is they've strarted to fight amongst themselves, and so im spending half my time seperating fights.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Hello Earthling

Separate them then. Go to walmart and buy one of those large storage bins and metal mesh and bam a new cheap cage

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM
is a little "special"

Good luck selling your hammies!
Just thought I should say... If you end up selling them on Craigslist or in the paper or something, put a price on them for at least $5. If you give them away free, alot of people and up using them as snake food.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

We gave one away today, and so theres just one more that needs a home. One of my brothers friends might take it, but if not it's going to a pet store.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:37 PM

In my litters ive noticed that some develop quickly from their father genetics, I separate the litter at at about 22-26 days if thats the case.
Normally its not however in most litters. Be careful about sexing them too early too!!

Can I ask you how old they are?
If they are chasing each other around the cage and fighting...this is normal for pups. :C All five of mine were in a giant wrestle pile when i had them...

As long as there is no blood and not a REAL fight (very easy to tell a real from fake, its SCARY) they arent really needing to be seperated yet...if they arent of age.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

we've guessed that they're between 16 and 28 days, we're not sure. since they were abandoned, we can't be positive of the age, all we know is that they have been weaned off their mother's milk, because their mother was not with them in the cage when my brother found them.

As for the fighting, i have seen no blood but the fights i have seen involves a lot of squealing.

Tags
hamster, pet store, selling