I am getting a new hamster soon!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I am getting a new hamster soon!!

My boyfriend decided we would like to get another one, well lol I talked him into to it a bit . I decided this time I am going to do it right, and not have the same problems I had w/Arabella. We are going to drive to Tulsa and go to Petsmart, and which ever hamster seems the most tamest I am bringing home. By that I mean whichever one lets me pick him or her up w/not much fuss, I use to do this before when I bought hamsters. But last time I was so excited about getting Arabella I just picked her out and that was that. I am also going to give this hamster wettail medicine from the time he/she is home, so they will never even get it. I am going to use Arabella's 1st cage, the crittertrail x cage, she had wettail in it, so I didn't want another pet in there for awhile. But I will soak this cage in bleach for a whole day before buying this newbie, I already cleaned this cage before w/bleach, so it should be really safe after me soaking it again for another day.

So far for names we have this:

Pebbles
Muffy
Ivianca
Paulina
Cocoa
Violet

What do you think? We are hoping to get another girl, but I am open to boys names too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

If I were you, I'd make sure the bleach is very very diluted. I don't know if there are any other disinfectants you can use that would be safer. I saw on TV a new spray that you can use around pets and food. I don't know if that would take care of the wet tail. The bleach would be my only concern if putting another pet in that cage.

I really like the name Muffy

*Missy*
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:34 PM

I'd say, when you pick out the tamest one, also be sure that it is very healthy... active, bright eyes, responds to movement/sound, ect. Usually the tamest one is a sick one... specially in pet store hamsters, where the breeders just breed a bunch of them and don't handle them much.

About the bleach... try to dilute it well, as pinkie said... I use a cap of it on a 2g bowl. Rinse it with a lot of water and then dry it well and let it air for 24 hours. What I do is that I stick my head inside the tank to smell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I read that they do make cage sanitizer especially for rodent cages. I looked on petco and I couldn't find any. I read somewhere else that lysol works well too

*Missy*
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Next time instead of bleach try liquid detergent, petstore owner told me it was the strongest AND safest to use when cleaning a cage =)
I like Violet, but maybe you should see your new hamster first before nameing it X3
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 07:24 PM

I name them based on appearance AND personality, after I have them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise and tips. I use bleach all the time when cleaning tanks and cages, because I am in the habit w/my gerbils because they had mites before, and the bleach kills mites. I clean all cages and tanks in the bathtub w/scolding hot water and about a half cup of bleach. I will try that laundry detergant too, so it will be extra clean.

We did decide on a definate boys name, if we get a boy. Little Rey Rey, because my boyfriend and I watch wrestling, and we like the wrestler Rey Mysterio. And in my opinion he moves around like a hamster but faster when he is wrestling.

I am waiting until I get my tax return to do this. I should of had all my w-2 forms by now, but one job scent it to the wrong address even though I changed it in the computer, so I am waiting to receive another one.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:08 PM

Well, good luck, can't wait until we find out if it's a boy or a girl ^__^
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

We just got her today, we were going to get her tomorrow after work but we could not wait, lol. We are both like kids on Christmas.

She is white w/black speckles, and her name for now is Piper. I am not sure if it fits her. I liked it before we got her, but it will probably stay Piper. Atleast we can say "Piper is hyper!!", and she sure is, she has basically ran on her wheel since she has been home more or less.

She lets us pick her up too, but she is a little bit skiddous still, but that is to be expected. She poops alot too, but it is solid so far, and I am giving her wet tail medication in her water bottle just in case. I figure she is just a bit nervous in her new enviroment. But she really seems to like her new cage.

Tags
pet store, wet tail