I am ticked! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

I am ticked!

Okay, we go pet shopping on the 8th every month. This month my mom PROMISED my gerbs a tank. Okay, so we go and look, but apparently they don't have any with toppers. SO, we ask the lady and we ask "do any of these come with tops?" She asks "for what animal.." and we say 2 gerbils. Then she gets an attitude and says "Gerbils are NOT to be homed in tanks, the air is low and eventually they will die." WTF? Then she says critter trails are the "appropriate" home for gerbils. BULL CRAP! I am ticked with PetSmart. They say male mice won't fight. They do. They say if you introduce gerbils it's fine..NO! You have to use the split cage. UGH I am so tired of PetSmart! Why can't they educate themselves?!
On the bright side, at Wal-Mart they had a tank with a top, so we bought that. Eddie the mouse is getting the old gerb cage, so I guess it turned out okay.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Ugh I hate how PetSmart knows nothing!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

AGH I know >.<

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

What annoyed the CRAP out of me was when she said "If they live in this they are guarenteed to die" WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT? Tanks are one of the best cages for a gerbil! UGGHHHH!!!

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Because, at least in NY, employees are hired based on if they have a relative involved with PetSmart. Most pet stores do not hire based on experience. They hire based on how convincing you are to the majority of pet owners out there that you "know your information".
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Because, at least in NY, employees are hired based on if they have a relative involved with PetSmart. Most pet stores do not hire based on experience. They hire based on how convincing you are to the majority of pet owners out there that you "know your information".
Geez. I don't even see why people hire uneducated (on animals) people.. ._.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Playful Pup

That's why people should do research beforehand instead of just relying on Petsmart or the pet store they buy their animals and supplies from.

Petsmart and Petco sells dyed bird toys and say that they are safe, yet too much of the dye can be harmful if it isn't just plain food coloring or a vegetable based dye, yet the workers can't tell you what kind of dye is used in their bird toys!

I was told by a bird trainer at Petco to grab my bird and hold her against me until she calms down to tame her. Now I have to work on getting my bird to stop being afraid of my putting my hand over her head or back because she thinks I'm going to grab her. Instead of solving my problem with her, the trainer made it worse. (Not saying this technique won't work for other birds, but it just caused problems with my bird and I tamed her another way.)

They also sell hamsters to children without warning the parents that some of the breeds can become aggressive when they get older. They had to stop selling one breed completely because they kept getting so many returned due to bitten fingers.

Outside research is always a must. It does suck that you can't rely on large pet store chains like that to educate their workers properly since they are selling animals to the general public that probably don't know the slightest thing about the animals they are buying.

I'm glad you found a tank for your gerbils. I don't understand why a tank would be acceptable for lizards and turtles, but not acceptable for gerbils. Surely it would kill the reptiles due to lack of air flow if it would kill a gerbil!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
Geez. I don't even see why people hire uneducated (on animals) people.. ._.
Cheaper? Less intrusive? Employers know that when it's the issue of animal welfare on hand, if they were to place workers, who know their information about animals, that that puts those employees in a state of power. Those employees can tell customers, for example, "Despite what my manager might say....don't give your pet blah_de_blah, it's harmful to them." Or something like that. Thus, the employer looses business. Employers don't like to loose business. Employers like money.

EDIT: Proof?

I placed an application to Petco, and PetSmart. On my PetSmart application, I acted like I knew nothing about animals. On my Petco application, I spilled out that I know a little bit about turtles, cockatiels, dogs, cats, hamsters, rats, mice, degus, chinchillas, hedgehogs, sugar gliders, skunks, horses, goats, donkeys...etc etc...

I scored an interview with PetSmart.

I didn't even HEAR a single word from Petco.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 11-08-2009 at 09:34 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Playful Pup

ughh , i hate it when people who know nothing about animals and pets work at pet shops . :@

Pround owner of :

1 male guinea pig - Charlie

1 male black lab - Monty
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:22 AM

Here in the UK we feel your pain. Petsmart or as it's know over here (Pets at Home) is exactly the same.
The staff are clueless and are very unhelpfull
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Playful Pup

thanks god we dont have pet stores like that over here although there is 1 petshop like that and i applied for a job there and on my application i told them about all the pets i had and have and that i new how to care for them and i never herd back from them.....instead i went in 2 weeks later to fnd 2 new employees who didnt have a clue about how to even look after a rabbit i was disgusted ....

My lil Peatree [bearded dragon] ...
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishB View Post
thanks god we dont have pet stores like that over here although there is 1 petshop like that and i applied for a job there and on my application i told them about all the pets i had and have and that i new how to care for them and i never herd back from them.....instead i went in 2 weeks later to fnd 2 new employees who didnt have a clue about how to even look after a rabbit i was disgusted ....
It's typical isn't it? You sounded perfect for the job hun
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I've waited for like....30-45 minutes for an employee to come attend a hamster that looked ill at PetSmart. No one came. And their birds are always freezing, they're always puffed up and looked chilled. At least at the Petco back in NY(which is all the PetSmart and Petcos i'm talking about, I haven't been to any Petsmarts or Petcos here in Michigan, I refuse to), had all their birds in a separate room that's kept VERY warm.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
I've waited for like....30-45 minutes for an employee to come attend a hamster that looked ill at PetSmart. No one came. And their birds are always freezing, they're always puffed up and looked chilled. At least at the Petco back in NY(which is all the PetSmart and Petcos i'm talking about, I haven't been to any Petsmarts or Petcos here in Michigan, I refuse to), had all their birds in a separate room that's kept VERY warm.
A bird was actually escaped in our PetSmart. Took a while for someone to actually care.
As for their animals, they all look fine, but I wasn't too happy about the gerbils that were seperate or the male mice living togehter.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah... I've spoken off and on with a girl who used to work at Petco, but quit due to their... shoot..what's the word...ethics, maybe? There has to be so many mice in order to equal one exercise wheel. Basically, in her words, it's a store that looks clean-cut and well-educated on the outside, but on the inside they don't practice what they preach.