I found him? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I found him?

Hello!
My two female hamsters had babies some months ago. Some of you might remember, the two hamsters my dad bought for my birthday, but they were pregnant? But anyway, that's not the point. One of my hamsters had a litter of two(yes, two) and she was not the best mom. She gave up on one of the babies, who died sadly, and she was not around a lot for the other. Well one day, about 3 to 5 weeks after that baby was born, I looked in on the mom to check on them, and he was gone. I looked for him for days, even though my whole family told me he was dead, though I knew she could not have eaten him at that size, they still insisted. After about a week I gave up, I was thinking, "Even IF he got out, there is no way he could have lived the fall, or escaped the other animals." We have three dogs and four cats that walk free through our house, so there is no way he would have lived...right?
About 3 months later, my little brother woke up, and there he was! Sniffing him! My brother quickly grabbed one of the hamster balls and put him in it, then ran around screaming that he found him, waking us all up in the middle of the night.
It turns out that he was surviving with a mix of the water from the dogs and cats bowl(at least I think, we have no other water out) and a mix of the food around the house, and dropped seeds when I was feeding the other hamsters! We had moved all other 5 hamsters to my room, and he had found his way over there! And its quite a long way from the kitchen. Well, we got out the extra cage(for the sick hamsters, hamsters have fights and need space and so on) and put him in it and we all went to bed, which was not easy, because he still new how to use the wheel. My mom woke up the next morning, went to the kitchen, looked in the hamster cage, and he was gone! She got me up, then ran around the kitchen looking for him. It turns out he was still on the island!(a small table thing with shelves and stuff...my parents are weird...) He had been hanging around a purple plastic hamster house that had been out there. I have no idea how he escaped, but he had it all planned! He had taken seeds with him! (stored them in his cheeks) and was looking for a way to safely get off, (there is none). That little guy can get out of almost anything, and is very smart. What should I do? I have put him in his ball, then put that in a box next to me while I am writing this. I need to find out how to make sure he does not get out again, its not safe for him. He also most likely has a nest somewhere, right? Should I look for it? Also, is it possible he is sick? I can't take him to a vet(my dad would just laugh that one off >.>) so how could I tell? Thanks so much guys!
He is a Chinese dwarf hamster, if it matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Hello Earthling

Congrats on finding him!

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:42 AM
I am allergic to maths

It doesnt suprise me that he survived, its happned to me before. He may have nested in the wall, or a cupboard or any small space he could squeeze into, there is no need to look for it though. Check him over for any abnormalities, check eyes, claws, anus, teeth and check all over for any lumps. Also keep an eye on how much he poops and pees. What type of cage do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad you found him.I had mice that went missing that I found a couple months later and they were fine.Hamsters are escape artists.My old hamster used to get out of his cage,but I always found him hours or 1-2 days later.

If he keeps escaping his cage,I would change cages.Maybe put him in a bin cage or an aquarium.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
It doesnt suprise me that he survived, its happned to me before. He may have nested in the wall, or a cupboard or any small space he could squeeze into, there is no need to look for it though. Check him over for any abnormalities, check eyes, claws, anus, teeth and check all over for any lumps. Also keep an eye on how much he poops and pees. What type of cage do you have?
It was a pretty simple small bar cage, we got him a new one though, I did not want him to stay in that small one.

Now I have 6 hamsters to take care of...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I am allergic to maths

I would just get a peg/clip to keep the door shut.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree with putting him in an aquarium. That may be the only escape-proof method. Can't chew through glass...and if he does, your hamster has SERIOUS issues. Lol.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 PM
I am allergic to maths

Lol, flickeringhope, dont underestimate them, my last escapee ate his way through a BRICK wall
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
It was a pretty simple small bar cage, we got him a new one though, I did not want him to stay in that small one.

Now I have 6 hamsters to take care of...
That may be why

Little animals are very flexible. Wouldn't surprise me if he squeezed out through the bars. Yeah, a aquarium might be best.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

A brick wall..? Good grief..... I can't say I've ever had that happen - I've never had dwarves, just Syrians, but still. Daymn....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 AM
I am allergic to maths

It was a 6 m/o syrian called clipper. He escaped and managed to eat through our kitchen wall

Tags
hamster