I think Dora is losing the will to live - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I think Dora is losing the will to live

She lives by herself now. Before she was happy alone. She would do all her normal gerbil thinks. Now she sleeps all day, she still eats and drinks some though, but hardly chews on her carboard. She will be 3 next month so I know she is getting up there in age too. I try spending time with her but she runs from me and hides in her box, before I was able to pick her up, I think she is just depressed and doesn't want to be held, but I would like to try to cheer her up. She probably wants to be w/her family again. It is just hard because her and I go way back. She was born in my home in Massachusetts when I lived there, and she was the first one I picked out of the litter, she was the cutest baby ever. When she was a baby I would sing to her "Dora Dora Dora" and she would stand up because she would know it was her song, and up until recently she would still do it. I wanted her to live a long time, but if she wants to be w/her family I am not going to be shelfish, I will make her comfortable and take care of her until I have her, and respect her wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Aspires to Change Oil

You're a great owner! I'm sure Dora knows she is well loved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, [username] .
are you new member? have questions?

Feel free to PM or IM me.
Contacts are my profile.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 09:54 PM

Why do you have her alone and where is her family? I am not being critical, I just don't understand your remarks.

>> I wanted her to live a long time, but if she wants to be w/her family <<

Are you speaking metaphorically? Is her family dead?

it is so sad thinking of all the many many pets I had who lassed away. I also recall like it was a second ago when they were young.

Now I am in tears again. Good luck to you both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Hi I noticed my name in your posts and i just wanted to say hi and thank you, i saw it in one and then later in another and I thought, wow she really knows how to make a person feel special. Thanks again.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:26 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I hope it all works out no matter what happens and if she does pass on she will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. If she is anything like her sisters and mother she will probably hang on for a bit and go back and fourth and have her good days and bad days. Her first sister Briana died last summer because the ingorant people I lived with didn't tell me her water bottle broke and had her in a very hot room, I was staying w/my boyfriend that weekend because it was my birthday, she died a few days later, then her mother Penny Lane wasn't the same after that and died about a month later. For several months it was just Dora Diamond and Lizzie Beth. Then 2 weeks ago Lizzie Beth passed away.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:59 PM

aww... My mama gerbil and the daddy are already over a year and it worries me that they are now going to start getting older, I wish they didn't have such a short life span, but they do and I knew that going into raising gerbils. Nibbles is my first Gerbil and I love her so much when she goes it will be devastating, I told my son when she dies I was going to have her stuffed Animals to people who love them they are like our real babies
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

They are our babies.

She is doing a little better now and chewing on her cardboard, but last night I picked her up and she pead on me, and the color was brownish, that can't be to good, I don't think she is feeling that good.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:33 PM

no that doesn't sound good at all could be the kidneys. This is so sad all you can do is make her as comfortable as you can for her and you. Big Hugs.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Have you thought about calling a vet and speaking to them about it? I agree with deana I think it may be something to do with the kidneys. I really would have it looked into.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:59 PM

If she's depressed from her lost family, she may have eaten something bad, not enough, or had just not eaten at all, which could have affected her kidneys. Poor girl. I'd take her to the vet.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately the vets around here they will not look at your pets unless you can pay up front. I have tried for other pets to see if they could do payment plans and they have said no, no money up front we can not help.

I will buy her some piadalite tomorrow, that might make her body system feel a bit better. I should of thought of this earlier, but I have been stressed out with what happened with my cats and depressed (this is in another thread) and this has been really draining me.

She seems to be doing better though, she is chewing her carboard again but not running on her wheel at all . And I have been picking her up and telling her how much I love her and trying to give her hope and inspiration.

If I could find a vet that took payment plans I would get her to one, but until then I will keep trying to make her comfortable and spend much time with her as possible to give her the will to hold on.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 09:45 PM

May I ask around where in Oklahoma do you live? I will do a search and see if I can find something for you.
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:20 AM

I wish you all the hope a mommy can have, it is awful for animals to get sick. my little baby gerbil really a baby lol 2 months, but anyway has a sore nose, but it sounds like he is wheezing though. I put neosporin on it, the sweeling has gone down, I called the doctor on Saturday and said if he is still wheezing I would be bringing him in on Monday, today he still is, and if by tomorrow I am just going to take him in because it could be viral. I don't know if your vets office has an insurance plan or not, but mine does and I am going to get it because Gerbils are expensive to take in. the first one was a 135.00 because she was put to sleep, I didnt want to bring her back home to starve to death and suffer and I had the money, and now tomorrow 62.00 for just office visit so I am getting insurance because if he is sick it will be more than 62.00 I have too many Gerbils not to have the insurance. I know Petsmart has a insurance plan too. something to look into I think for you I tried the payment plan too and no one would do it
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

I live around Bartlesville, I won't say the actual town because I believe that my ex boyfriend and his friend pose on here as other people and I don't want them getting my personal information. I have had problems w/other pets before and litterly called every vet in the phone book and they said I had to pay the full amount that day. I get payed 7.21 and hour and get 20-30 hours a week at work sometimes 40 if I am lucky but that is rear, rent is 265 plus electricity is pretty expensive plus I pay water and other bills and have to pay all this soon. So paying the full amount to a vet is not possible at this point.

I did buy her some non flavored piadalite and non sugar cranberry juice today, I put a teaspoon of the cranberry juice in her water, so far she has not drank any of it. I haven't really seen her drink much water at all the past few days, I asked my boyfriend when I have been at work has he seen her drink any, and he said he hasn't.

Thanks for the help.

Tags
cage bars, pet store, regular vet, split cage, split cage method, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters