i think my hamster is sick - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i think my hamster is sick

i'm not sure if she's sick or not. i might just be a paranoid owner, this is my first hamster. i got Chepp, a little over a week ago. i went with a couple of my friends, and my girlfriend to pick one out at Petsmart, and instantly fell in love. she's loveable and social, she even came up to the glass to look at us. we got her without any hesitation. she's a short haired hamster, light brown-reddish fur, about 3 inches in length.

when we brought her home though, we realized that she had a tiny missing patch of fur on her nose. i assumed that she had just gotten into a fight in her cage at Petsmart. i looked at it closely and saw that it was sort of flaky. i'm not sure what to think of it. the only "improvement" that i've seen is that when we first got her the patch was deep as if it were a cut, but now it's raised to the surface of her nose more.

another thing i noticed is that she smells, really bad. i know hamsters clean themselves periodically, but today she smells horrid. when i took her out of her cage, she also began to twitch. both of these have just started today. ever since we got her, she's been acting like a normal hamster would. very curious, loves her wheel, eats and drinks regularly, and sleeps during the day. i don't know if she's getting sick, is sick, or i'm just paranoid.

can any of you help, please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Stench is normal for females. It attracts males to them. I had hamsters for YEARS and that was why I tried to stick with males unless a female called to me - I couldn't stand the female's stench and how it got all over my hands and clothing.

The scaley patch could be a part of an improper, vitamin-lacking diet at the pet store.

Tags
bald patch, hamster, sick, twitching