Ill gerbil please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Ill gerbil please help!

One of my female gerbils (18months old) started licking my hands on Sat eve, I didn't think much of it. Then yesterday (sun) I noticed shet was licking the side of her tank and also the bars. She was still doing this today but she also looked like she was half asleep. I know she has been eating and drinking something over the last few days but it may not be very much. I gave her a check over and I cannot see any physical signs expect that she may have lost a little weight. She is rather lathargic. I have offered her some baby porridge which she had a little of but she still continues to lick my fingers constantly. Her sister seems fine, so is the room temperature and the water bottle is working fine.
I think I will take her to the vet tomorrow if there hasn't been any improvement but I wanted to ask on here if anyone had seen this before and had any ideas about what might be causing it as I'm one very worried Mummy?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Hello Earthling

I would suggest a visit to the vet.

The continuous licking is strange... possibly a mental issue?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 04:46 PM
is a little "special"

Thats very odd! A vet visit would definatly be a good idea.
Ive never really heard of that... But for some reason I thought vitamin deficancy (sp?). Like, you know how some people do odd things- like eating metal of example- because they dont have enough of certain vitamins? Hands are salty, and and cage bars are metal and that has iron in it. Just a thought.
I hope she gets better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Thats very odd! A vet visit would definatly be a good idea.
Ive never really heard of that... But for some reason I thought vitamin deficancy (sp?). Like, you know how some people do odd things- like eating metal of example- because they dont have enough of certain vitamins? Hands are salty, and and cage bars are metal and that has iron in it. Just a thought.
I hope she gets better.

Great idea!! I didn't think of that.

Do gerbils need those salt/mineral stones??? If so maybe get one.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM
the rodent lover<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
Great idea!! I didn't think of that.

Do gerbils need those salt/mineral stones??? If so maybe get one.
None of my gerbils have never had one, and they're fine

If the gerbils lick the tank I hear its a sign they're thirsty. Do you ever see your gerbil drink?

If you see your gerbil licking the glass walls of the tank, he is thirsty. A gerbil will lick a smooth surface, such as the glass walls, to try to find moisture if he can't get water from his water bottle. If you see your gerbil licking the walls, make sure that the water bottle isn't empty. You should also tap the end of the water bottle a few times to make sure that the water is flowing freely and that the bottle isn't stopped up.

http://www.twinsqueaks.com/tips-archive/tip090106.html
This link is very useful. It's how to speak your gerbils language

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies guys. I took Diamond to the vet today and she said it was either a respritory infection or a stomach growth. She gave us some antibiotics and if they work then it's the infection and if they don't then it's the cancer and there's nothing else they can do. Here's hoping it's the infection!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:04 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed85 View Post
Thanks for your replies guys. I took Diamond to the vet today and she said it was either a respritory infection or a stomach growth. She gave us some antibiotics and if they work then it's the infection and if they don't then it's the cancer and there's nothing else they can do. Here's hoping it's the infection!
Ooo! Good luck with your gerbil! Let's hope it's just an infection
Atleast you went to the vet!!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

my baby gerbils did that, all he wanted was water so put water dropplets and my finger and made him follow my finger to the water bottle a couple of times and he was fine, my gerbils was exactly the same at yours.

R.I.P gerbil- tiger
R.I.P gerbil- Benny
R.I.P Hamster - Holly
R.I.P Gerbil- Badger
R.I.P Cat- Blacky
R.I.P bird- jem
Forever i will remeber and miss you
i miss you tocco and the other babies
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Playful Pup

Awww, I hope its only an infection! Good luck with it

Pround owner of :

1 male guinea pig - Charlie

1 male black lab - Monty
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 AM

Licking the glass is a sign of gerbils being thirsty.

Tags
gerbil, lethargic, licking