I'm afraid I accidently hurt my Hampster! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I'm afraid I accidently hurt my Hampster!

For my birthday last month I bought a hampster and i know basically nothing about them. I put fluffy bedding in her cage but i was worried because she was eating it so I looked up if it was harmful even though it said "safe". I found out it was and now I am worried. should I take her the the vet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

As long as she's still passing fecal matter and urine, and eating, I wouldn't worry too much. But take it out, replace it with something else(we used strips of old clothing), and see how she does.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Hello Earthling

Ditto what FlickeringHope said and its "hamster" not "hampster"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I did the same thing when I first got my hammies. I like using tissues with NO lotion or anything. Kleenex brand Ultra Soft is good. Just like FlickeringHope said, just make sure she's still able to pass urine and stool and is eating and drinking okay!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Betta Bomb

A Hammie eating fluffy bedding? Are you sure she wasnt just stuffing it into her cheeks to make a nest? Thats what hamsters do, btw, they'll stuff everything into their cheeks and toddle off to make the nest- they do this with food too while foraging.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I was warned by someone when I first got my hams and was using the fluffy bedding that they will eat it and it will get wrapped around their intestines. It scared me and I stopped using it and switched to tissues! I never saw them eating it, but it scared me. The person that warned me said she had actually lost a hamster and the vet said it had strings of the fluffy bedding wrapped around its insides.

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

As long as she is eating,drinking,peeing and pooping...she should be fine.

You also may want to start researching the animal you have in your care.There are many sites,forums and books that can teach you basic hamster care.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Honestly IMO animals shouldn't eat anything like that. It's one thing if they shred it/carry it around or whatever but if they are actually eating it, you HAVE to take it out of the cage.

I would try some fleece strips for her to make a bed because they don't fray like regular fabric does. As long as you know for sure that she doesn't eat tissues and paper towels and whatnot you could use them also...but like I said if I were you I would take them out of the cage if she does start eating them.

*Missy*
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Playful Pup

If you want to try something else, you might want to try strips of old (but clean) sheets. I don't know how they do it, but my hamsters love pulling sheets over to their cage to chew on for breakfast. I don't know how many sheets I've had to so up or how in the world they pull it over (I think they may have telekinesis...).

Tags
harmful hampster bedding