I'm buying a hamster after about 4 years..questions :P - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

I'm buying a hamster after about 4 years..questions :P

Of course i'm going to refresh my memory on hammies, because the last time I got one was when I was in the 4th grade! Okay, so, I'm getting a hammie tomorrow, (or next week.. depends) My dad is giving me 40 dollars. So, I looked up 3 cages from PetSmart, which one do you reccomend.? I can't remember if Hammies are chewers like gerbils or not.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3164304
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752727
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752705
No, the last one isn't that big. lol, I even told that to my mom. It's just up there to be up there.

The thing is, I think i'm going to get the cage, litter, food, etc, and set up the home, and then wait a week until my mom gets her paycheck to buy the hamster.. unfortunately there are no hamster rescues so she's gonna be a petstore hammie.

Well, off to researching!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of hamster are you getting? Syrian hamsters need more space than dwarf hamsters. And yeah, the last one is way too small.

My concern with those cages is that they're more vertical than horizontal. It doesn't look like there's much space for the hamster to run around. Some hamsters are climbers but I've also seen hamsters that would never really utilize levels like that. Have you looked into bin cages? They're cheaper AND larger . Look around on Google and you should find some info. When I've had smaller hamsters (like dwarf hamsters) I've even just used a bin with the top off! That wouldn't work if you have dogs or cats, though.

By the way, there aren't many hamster rescues BUT there are plenty of rescue hamsters . What I mean by that is you should call the local shelters/rescues--many dog/cat shelters end up with hamsters. You could also look on Craigslist, I see free hamsters on mine all the time.

Good luck and post pictures when you get your hamster!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Thanks for the information -- i'm gonna look at craigslist and bin cages.. but if I don't find anything - the petstore we're going to doesn't have dwarfies, even though i'd prefer those little tiny dudes

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, the first one seems the largest. But the wheels are way too small for a Syrian so you'd need to get a larger wheel and take those out. None of those cages are ideal, though. Maybe if you're lucky they'll have more at the store . They don't put all of their cages on the website.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

all three concern me - wire flooring isn't optimal in my experience - wire flooring hurts their little feet. I'd suggest getting a cage where all the levels are solid plastic, and if you don't find one you like, covering the wire flooring with cardboard or something else would work.

My favorite hamster cage is a 10 gallon tank with a "Cage topper" it attaches to the top of the tank, and gives my hamster more room to run around. This is what I mean:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Here's more..

First before I show them I have another alternative.. if I wait the week to where my mom has more money.. I can get my gerbils this -
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3057122

and give the hammie the cage the gerbils have currently
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3057120

I've had this before for my first hamster -
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3076905
How about that? She seemed to like it alot..
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3076904
Or that which looks way too small..but still..?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Or this.. it says rat cage but it's big enough for a hammiee..?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753299

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The Lux red and yellow looks alright - besides the fact that personally, for me, the colors seem to clash horribly, lol. Were I a hamster I think I would blind myself in that, lol. But the second Lux link does look way too small.

Personally, i'd say away from wire-floored levels.

EDIT: the link you posted in your second post could work, but personally, I'd wanna make sure the bars aren't spaced wide enough for it to slip its head through...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
The Lux red and yellow looks alright - besides the fact that personally, for me, the colors seem to clash horribly, lol. Were I a hamster I think I would blind myself in that, lol. But the second Lux link does look way too small.

Personally, i'd say away from wire-floored levels.
Yeah - same, I honestly didn't notice those wire floors & I know how painful they can be

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:06 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Are you still planning on getting a hamster even now that you got mice? If so the first cage (VERY first) would most likely not be good for dwarfs because the bar spacing seems pretty big. It would be fine for a Syrian (only one Syrian because they are very territorial). You can check petdiscounters.com. They have a lot of small animal cages, but then you have to go through the hassle of shipping. I have always used CritterTrail cages but I am not sire about the best cages for dwarfs as I have only owned Syrians. Good Luck!!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Nope.. probably not getting hammies now, since I got these 2 boys Thanks for the advice, though.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2009, 07:07 PM

if you still decide on getting a hamster i would deffinatly check out craigslist i know it was mentioned before 4 out my 6 were found there and my other two syrians were rescued from my 1 of 3 local SPCA they have locations all over the place also www.petfinder.com when looking for any small animals though you have to leave a lot of the criteria blank on the left side of website just pick small and fury (something like that) and your zip code