Im new with a new dwarf hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Smile Im new with a new dwarf hamster

Hi

just thought i would introduce myself and my new hammy. im adele and my hamster is Misty.
shes a russian dwarf campbell, a kinda caramel toffee colour, and only got her saturday afternoon.

I had a winter white previously who was tame right from the start and never once bit me.

however my new hamster (who at the minute is called Misty, but may soon be re-named bitey) bites me. ive been talking to her for the past 24 hours (not constantly! lol) and she seems to react to my voice, but as soon as i put my hand in (flat on the bottom) she bites me (not hard enough to draw blood - but hard enough for it to hurt! ouch!)

does anybody have any ideas?

my last hamster was so tame, she wud sit on my lap and watch telly and play for hours. does my hamster really hate me?

Also does anybody know how im going to get her out of her cage when it comes to cleaning her out??? i dont want to get bitten, but i want her to be tamed.

I dont want to keep putting my hand in her cage so soon as i dont want to upset her.

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you soon

Thanks
Adele and Misty (AKA bitey)
xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You just got her, give her some time to settle into her new surroundings before you begin handling her. As for getting her out to clean the cage, I usually scoop them up with a cup or something .

Welcome to Paw-Talk, by the way!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Welcome to the forum! Can't wait for pictures (When you have 20 posts)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM

taming a dwarf hamster hmmmm well it may be a surprise but it is a lot easier than a syrian in my opinion
first thing get a paper towel, toilet paper, or napkin of sorts rub your hands all over it so it gets your sent on it put a new one in everyday to keep the sent on it and throw it in the cage hamsters have an amazing sense of smell this will get her used to your sent and she will associate the napkin that smells like you with no harm and eventually associate you with no harm also after a week or so of her adjusting period (a week from bringing her home) i would pick out the food she likes the most and hand feed it do that for a few weeks at least once a day and then with any luck you can start putting the food in the palm of your hand and she will just just right up into your hand NEVER NEVER pick her up from behind let her know you are there or else she will bite even after being tamed

Also and this would be the last option dry out your tub real good put her and your self inside of it sit down and let her run around no sudden movement and do not dop her anywhere at all im sure you know that but i had to mention it
let me know if any of this works
and welcome
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

hiya, thanks for your replies,

I will try what you said and will take some photos and post them when im allowed! (tho i may need some help)

I will try the tissue trick starting from tonight and see how it goes. and then put her in the bath tub with me.

I think prehaps I am expecting too much too soon and comparing her to my other hamster.

Thanks again everybody and will keep you posted.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello Earthling

Welcome to the forum!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:47 PM

it is easy to assume all hamsters are the same my very first dwarf was just as tame as your old one still is a year later Q-Tip is his name but the next one i got i assumed it would be the same not quite this one drew blood on a daily basis i tried the things i told you about and less than a month later she was fine also i will let you know once dwarfs are tamed that doesnt mean they will stay that way any hamster i can imagine it is an everyday process its not like it takes a month and thats it thats about the time for the biting to minimize it has been said some cant be tamed but if you do get her tame and continue to play with her daily she will stay happy and lovable it is important that you be as paitient as can be with her just imagine yourself that small and something your size coming at you please please give her a week to figure things out first before you take her out of the cage the only time you should open it is to give food and water and then at the end of the week change the bedding but everything back the same way that is when i will handle her just a tiny bit everyday but deff. start with the napkin trick it worked for me with all 6 of mine
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:51 PM
RAT ADDICT

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your little hamster.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
ive been talking to her for the past 24 hours (not constantly! lol) and she seems to react to my voice,
xxx

dont think that is weird its not i talk to mine everyday a few people would like to dissagree but i believe that they understand words Q-Tip will respond to his name i feel if it happens more than four times its real and when i say "its time to eat" he goes right to his food bowl and also "its time to drink" yup you guessed it to his water bottle
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

things have taken a step backwards really, when i talk to her now she darts back in her bed and wont come back out!!!

keep trying tho and she seems to love have tissue to rip apart and take to bed with her. lol

will kepp u all updated

thanks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 AM

yes they love tissues thats all i use for bedding really sometimes i mix it with carefresh but its get expensive after cage 3 and still have 3 left hahaha minimize sudden movements or loud noises and it should work itself out two of my hamsters are bothers had been together since birth the day i adopted them they started fighting to the death one is now missing a paw because of it but he turned out to be the nice one his brother is still phsyco and i've had them for 3 months now he just does not like people he wont bite but you cant hold him for anything just goes to show you that they are sometimes not tamable (is that a word hmmm) on second thought my nephew just got a dwarf an it took two days with the paper towel trick to stop the biting and allow being held if one doesnt work try another

Tags
bite, dwarf, hamster, tame