I'm worried. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover<3

I'm worried.

Hi.
Okay, first off let me say, my mom has been struggling for money. So PLEASE don't say I can't afford my animals. Because I have been ever since 5 years old. But we're lacking the funds right now.
2nd, D&J have been on Guinea Pig food for the past week. It was all the store had, and the cheapest.
I CAN afford gerbil food. Okay?

The gerbils have been acting REALLY fidgety. They don't let me touch them, but they don't bite me. I took out their wooden house because all they do is sleep in it. They don't look different or anything. Could this cause be the GPig food? Let me remind you that's all my mom could afford at the time. I worry too much, they have never been this energy prone and speedy in their 10 months of life. My mom promises me she's getting gerbil food tomorrow, I believe her. I came to ask PT because when I tell my mom about my gerbil problems she finds them silly. The only thing she really takes serious is the rabbit and her issues. I know my mom loves the gerbils, but she doesn't take me seriously because she claims I worry too much which I think I do.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:36 AM

There is too much vitamin c in guinea pig food. This could lead to problems in gerbils.

Also, putting them on a completely different diet so suddenly could cause tummy upset.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Thanks.
It's just that if anything ever happened to my boys too soon I don't know what i'll do.. I get too attatched to the little guys!
I really hope my mom does buy the food.
Also, I was telling her about making food. Does anyone make their own gerbil mix? What do you add?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Anyone got advice?

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have to agree about the vitamin C thing. Also, gerbils are omnivores while guinea pigs are complete herbivores--their diets are really different. While you can sometimes get away with mixing foods (cats/dogs, mice/rats, rabbits/guinea pigs) briefly, you definitely shouldn't be giving gerbils guinea pig food.

As far as making your own mix, I'm not sure. I've made my own hamster and spiny mouse food before but never gerbil food. It can be done, though, if you do plenty of research and give them a lot of variety . If you're looking to save money by doing it I just want to say that you probably won't save all that much--buying a mix in bulk from a feed store is going to be about the same price.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I have to agree about the vitamin C thing. Also, gerbils are omnivores while guinea pigs are complete herbivores--their diets are really different. While you can sometimes get away with mixing foods (cats/dogs, mice/rats, rabbits/guinea pigs) briefly, you definitely shouldn't be giving gerbils guinea pig food.

As far as making your own mix, I'm not sure. I've made my own hamster and spiny mouse food before but never gerbil food. It can be done, though, if you do plenty of research and give them a lot of variety . If you're looking to save money by doing it I just want to say that you probably won't save all that much--buying a mix in bulk from a feed store is going to be about the same price.
I know.. and I feel like a bad gerbil mommy having gpig food as their diet.. really bad..

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

you are doingthe best you can. Here is what I feed my gerbils whenI run out of their mix. Mind you they get gerbil hamster food but I also add other things in the mix to inshure they get all they need incase I runout of freish veggies.
I get bird seed from the dollar store the one that has the crush corn small seeds and sunflower seeds they love the seeds. They can have cat food are treat so its already mixed in I mack my mice, gerbil and hamster food all the same but I add in handfulls of extra stuff that each need seperately.
if you can get some sun flower seeds and some bird seen to mix help out till you get the food that will be ok. try to get the seed mix with sun flower seed mix and corn. Soem people do not liek ot give corn becuase they find it not benifical to the animlas but I give mine little to help along with chew sticks to keep their teeth filed down. cat food as a treat. and this helps with giving them the protin that meat dose. If you have veggies like carrits and lettus int eh hosue give them some. can veggies I have given them with the potatoes picked out on ocasions but freach it better. Timothy hay is also good or hight quality horse hay with timothy in it. Rabbit pellets a little inthe mix is ok for ecental vitimins to a point but this is only for when you are out and donthave much and need a quike and stillok meal for them. Bt try the bird mix with the sunf flower seeds in it becuase they love them and a little rabbit food as in a few pellets. you can get it at the dollar store for about 2 to 4 bucks depening on bag size. and if you or a friend have a cat there you go. insted of buying a box or bag.
But to mush vitimin c can also with a diet change make they sick. I do on ocasion give them ocorn flaks or weat or bran flaks ans raisends as treats. google gerbil food or diet on the web follow te gerbil society or club guid lines for food and car. Also give them back there house they may feel since they are not feelign well more sucure.
Have they let you handle them before? it coudl be they have upset tummys and holding them make it hurt liek we do when our tummys hurt or indigestion. Also see and check there poop make shure its ok and not runny or they could be constipated. there are many posiblitys.
Diamond
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Thank you.
I just wish my mom would take them more seriously.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I wish you luck and Think your mom cares I use to think the same way but I am 27 or will be this month on the 21 and she told me once that I worry to much with is ok but that I am a kid and supose to have fun yet still care but as a mom u\ti was her job to worry and make shure all things are done and feed and cleaned. I think she is trying in her own way to tell you she dose care but to calmb down she is doing the best she can and it will be alright.
I would ask her or talk to her say mom do you take me serously? I know I worry a lot and all but I want you to know I care to. She will like that. Mothers are the foundation on which a person is built for they show us gentalness, nurturing, guidence and love. Fathers do as well but some show it in a more stuber way like my dad which is more like yeah ok you did good now go mow the yard or got me a coffee. Which is his way of saying I love you and apresheate you.
You and your gerbils will be ok and you are doing what any good critter mommy would do worry about them 1st and finding stuff out that can help you. And you are caring for them and feeding them the best way you can.
Good luck God speed and God Bless
Diamond

My Gerbil Casanova a Dark eyed Honey and Boris a fancey Dwarf Hamster. Just getting a photo opp together. Some have had them live together susesfully but I would not do it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond01 View Post
I wish you luck and Think your mom cares I use to think the same way but I am 27 or will be this month on the 21 and she told me once that I worry to much with is ok but that I am a kid and supose to have fun yet still care but as a mom u\ti was her job to worry and make shure all things are done and feed and cleaned. I think she is trying in her own way to tell you she dose care but to calmb down she is doing the best she can and it will be alright.
I would ask her or talk to her say mom do you take me serously? I know I worry a lot and all but I want you to know I care to. She will like that. Mothers are the foundation on which a person is built for they show us gentalness, nurturing, guidence and love. Fathers do as well but some show it in a more stuber way like my dad which is more like yeah ok you did good now go mow the yard or got me a coffee. Which is his way of saying I love you and apresheate you.
You and your gerbils will be ok and you are doing what any good critter mommy would do worry about them 1st and finding stuff out that can help you. And you are caring for them and feeding them the best way you can.
Good luck God speed and God Bless
Diamond

My Gerbil Casanova a Dark eyed Honey and Boris a fancey Dwarf Hamster. Just getting a photo opp together. Some have had them live together susesfully but I would not do it.
AWW your baby's are cute <3
Thanks for all the advice..you helped alot

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

your welcome. Let us know how they are doing and if there is any more changes they threw and if the right deit seems to perk them back up.
diamond
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
the rodent lover&lt;3

I bought them Gerbil food today. They're not as fidgety today & they seem very normal. I was really worried about them!

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:07 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I'm glad their back to their regular diet. You did good by askign for advice and help and you were a good Gerbil mommy by doing the best you knew how for them. God bless you and all your critters.
Diamond
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am so happy they are better

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie