Introducing new hamster... - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudette
Karlh how can that be done? Do you think I should give up or try again? Midori is 4 months and Pepi is 5 months.
Of course, don't give up... They are, as some would say, at the most difficult time (4/5 months), when the serious fighting might start... Try to introduce them in few weeks time. The may be very friendly through the bars, but would protect their territory when put together... Follow the established introduction method.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM

I guess I've never seen that side of them because all of the hamsters I've had have been in their own cages. They have been sweet and very social.

My son is getting 2 male baby mice this week from a breeder. They are litter mates and get along great. They will be the only ones in their cage. Should I be worried about a fight? or should they continue to get along?
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 04:28 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Of course, never give up.. It is said that at 4/5 months they are at their worst for fighting... If that passes OK, there may not be any problem. But watch out. If it becomes more serious, you will have to separate them. And try to re-introduce them some weeks later, following the established procedure... It may work, but then, it may not...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 PM

how old is it? because i've heard that you have to introduce them at a young age or else they'll end up fighting.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:26 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Karlh how can that be done? I put Pepi in a cage inside Midori's cage. They would smell each other and sometimes Midori would climb Pepi's cage for a better look. Midori bite Pepi's nose through the bars! I removed Pepi’s cage. Do you think I should give up or try again? Midori is 4 months and Pepi is 5 months.
It is said that at this age they are at their 'worst' regarding assertiveness... Perhaps not the best time to introduce them.. wait a month, I would say and see wha happens then..
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 02:18 PM

Urgent-hamster question

I have 2 hamsters. They are male and we have had them for a month. They were together at the pet store and we put them in the same cage at home and they got along fine. Played together, slept together, and shared food just fine.
One got out (Bo) and was gone for 3 days. He came
back today and wanted back in the cage. We put him back in, he ate drank, looked around and then the other one (Luke) seen him and just went nuts...all they do is fight. Luke is being very aggressive now. He cut the nose and a small spot on Bo's belly.
I am trying to figure out how to get them back together...or if I even can. Do you have any ideas? I would be very greatful for any ideas as soon as possible.

Tonya

Tags
baby mice, dwarf hamster, food dishes, litter mates, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, seperate cages