Introducing a newer gerbil to my new(ish) gerbil - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Introducing a newer gerbil to my new(ish) gerbil

4 days ago I bought a new gerbil, however, upon getting home I realized that I really should have bought her a friend (since they thrive in pairs). Without money to afford another gerbil and a attachment to her gerbilarium (where its plastic tank on the bottom and cage wiring on top), Shantotto (my gerbil), had to bear with my fiance and I as company.

So, 4 days have passed, and now almost 5. Shantotto is comfortable with both me and my fiance that she no longer is startled when I put my hand in cage to check her food and water, and will even take treats from me. However, I don't want Shantotto to be lonely. I can only imagine human company can only do so much...she probably would have a much more fulfilling life with us if she had another gerbil to play with when my and me and fiance are not around. Yet I have a nagging little fear that if I buy her a playmate, hand taming will become twice as hard (my fiance bought budgies in a pair once...we've owned them for years and no matter how hard he tries, they prefer their own company to his).

So, my first question is this: Is it difficult to hand-tame two gerbils at once? If not, would you consider it hard for a first-time gerbil owner?

I've also done my research and I've discovered the split-tank method of introducing new gerbils to one another. Since I have a gerbilarium, I could imagine it would be a little difficult to split in half, especially since the water-bottle is on one side and the food dish on another. However I was thinking that since the current cage I have at the moment might be a little too small for two gerbils, that if I bought an attachment for it, would it be the same concept of the split-tank method if I put the new gerbil in the new cage/gerbilarium/whatever and set them right next to each other?

If anyone could give their advice, to a first-time gerbil owner who just wants to make her gerbil the happiest she could be, I'd really appreciate it! ^-^

Thanks

- D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I haven't noticed a difference but honestly, that shouldn't be your concern here. It's not fair to the animal to put your needs (easier taming) above the animal's need for companionship.

Yeah, that should work the same way. I'd be worried about having cages with plastic, though! Gerbils are strong (and sometimes obsessive) chewers. Most gerbils will chew straight through plastic. I'd use glass aquariums instead of plastic ones. Look on freecycle, craigslist, and in thrift stores/at garage sales. You can get cheap or even free tanks easily that way .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Newborn Pup

i know walmart has 10 gallon tanks for around 10 to 12 bucks and a mesh screen lid for around 7 .. and thats at the high end.... also you can try a pet store, ask if they have any old cracked tanks and if they could donate it with a screen lid to you ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:35 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

birds are different than gerbils anyway, birds will always pick the other bird over you, gerbils can learn to like you just the same as a pair. You can always work them individually you take one and your fiance the other.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Wait...at your Walmart you pay for the tank and lid seperately? That's outrageous. Our's sells the tanks with their lids, o.O It's like...$11.

Tags
gerbil, split-tank method