Introductions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Question

Hey, I have a litter of 5 eight day old pups, and I also have 3 adult gerbils. When time comes for them to be weaned from mom, would it be okay to introduce one of the female pups in with my solo female Gerbil, or would it be better to keep all the girls with mom? (Assuming there is more than one) And also, the dad was removed from the litter to avoid unwanted extra litters, and I was also wondering if I could introduce him to all his sons at once or what I have to do with that... Any advice would be helpful, thatnks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM

Yes, you will however want to use the split cage meathod JUST in case. Some gerbils will accept a young pup right away, others won't (an aweful lesson i learned).
An adult gerbil can hurt a young pup very quickly, so you will want to watch them and have a gloved hand ready JUST in case anything happends.

Male gerbils are 'usually' very happy to have a pup around, so most introductions with a older male and a pup goes very well. I just recently did one with 2 males pups and my 2.5 yr old lone male (lost his tank mate), it went very well.

Sex the pups early with the nipple method, and keep everything written down, this will help you down the road when u sex them at 5 weeks old, especially if a few look alike.
If there is more then 1 male going to be split caged with dad you can remove them from Mom at 5 weeks old, at this tme they will be weaned, and in a group of two they ahev each other to keep warm, and their Dad will teach them all their gerbilly skills

Good luck, and take lots of pictures, they grow super fast!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

I know for sure now, I have 3 girls and 2 boys. The boys are going with their dad, and I think one baby girl is going with my solo girl while 2 stay with mom! As long as I use the split cage method, that should all go over fine, right?

Tags
split cage, split cage method