Just rescued two dwarfs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Just rescued two dwarfs

I work as a pet photographer in Petco stores, and the store I was in today had a tank of hamsters for adoption (free), I guess a customer had an accidental litter, and brought them in about a week ago. There were 6 today. I noticed that the boys and girls had not been seperated, there was one little boy violating all of his sisters. Knowing that most people wouldn't be able to tell boys and girls apart, and knowing that the girls would probably be pregnant, I decided to take home two girls. I've got plenty of cages and supplies leftover from having my mice and my syrian hamster. A nice couple who recently lost their mice decided that they would adopt a pair, and I explained to them that if they got girls, they would probably have babies, so they decided to get boys. I have never handled dwarf hamsters before, or done much research on them, so sexing ended up being a comparison. I picked up the one little boy that had been humping the girls, and found one that matched. The other four appear to be girls. I explained to the couple that I'm no expert, but I knew a bit more than the store employees did, so they trusted me, but I did let them know that I could be wrong. Anyways, I took two girls, making sure the other two were both girls. Hopefully the employees will tell whoever adopts them that they are probably pregnant. I would have taken all four, but I don't have the space for four litters.

Anyways, I've got a few questions. These two girls are littermates, and have been together since birth. Is it okay if they stay together when they have babies, or should they be seperated? My sister has offered to take one if I need to seperate them, if not, then she will wait and adopt some of the babies. My brother would like a pair once the babies are ready to go, and he's got plenty of high school girls as friends who would probably love hamsters, too. I'd obviously get parental permission before giving away hamsters to teenagers, and I'd teach them how to properly care for them, so that won't be an issue.

I named the girls Miley and Lily. I can't tell them apart, so they just share the names for now.

4 cats: Radar, Oscar, Mackintosh, Qwilleran
1 dog: Daphne
3 rabbits: Barbarella Bunny. DC's Lucy, Ricky
1 daddy-long leg spider: Spidey
8 assorted tarantulas
1 madagascar hissing cockroach: Lady
3 chickens
1 ball python: Eve
1 corn snake: Charisma
1 California kingsnake: Honey
1 tortoise: Charlie
2 Mali Uromastyx: Nick and Nora
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:27 PM
is a little "special"

Dont keep them together... they will attack each other and/or each others babys. And dont poke at the babys even tho you will probably want to because if the mother notices the nest is disturbed or smells your sent she will eat her babies. Oh, one more thing- dont give the babies away free, some people will take free small animals and use them as snake food! I would price them at at least $5. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I know not to handle the babies, lol. I didn't have any problems when I had mice, but I know that every animal is different, and its best to just let mom do her job. I do animal rescue, so I know about screening homes and everything. If I have to advertise them, I will include an adoption fee, but I usually waive the fee if I know for sure that the animal is going to a good home. My sister has snakes, but I know she won't use them as snake food. Before I told my sister that I got these two girls, the first thing I asked was "will you feed hamsters to the snakes?" and she said no, so they will be safe.
If I seperate the girls, will I be able to reintroduce them after babies are all weaned and everything? I plan on keeping as many babies as I have to, seperating boys and girls, obviously. Would I be able to combine the girls from both litters, and the boys from both litters, or am I looking at having at least four cages? I just need to know what to be prepared for.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 09:52 PM
is a little "special"

Ok, sorry i didnt know youve had babies befor. Just wanted to make sure... What breed are they? Some breeds are more social than others. You should be able to reintroduce them, but do it slowlt because they probably wont remember each other. 2 cages should be fine while theyre young. When they are older the males might need to be separated, but the females should still be fine. If they start fighting separate them tho.
I know a few things about hammie babies but not everything, so you should still do research.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I've had baby mice before, never hamsters, though. I've only ever had one Syrian hamster before, so I don't know as much as I'd like to... They are Russian Campbell's. They are pretty friendly, they don't mind being handled at all. I'm trying to do as much research as possible. I'm almost positive that they are pregnant, but honestly, I don't know. Will a male mate with a female who is already pregnant? I read that because of pheremones, the male and female need to stay together for a few days after breeding in order for the pregnancy to take. If they don't mate when they are already pregnant, maybe today was the first mating, and maybe it won't take? I don't know, I've got plenty of research left to do...

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 PM
is a little "special"

She might not be pregnent. If the male mates with her when shes not in heat nothing will happen. Twice our old male hammie escaped and got into the females cage and tried to mate with her. The first time she wasnt in heart and nothing happened. The second time she was, and she had a false pregnency cause she was to old to have babies. And im pretty sure RCs are socail.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

They must be separated. Because if one of them gets into one of the other ones nest, fighting, will be very uh, yahh. So keep em separated! I'd love pics, but make sure flash is off. Don't clean the cage if you do it very often. Every 3 days or so (if it REALLY starts to smell) take momma out and clean everywhere, but around/in the nest leave it alone. Make sure you don't go to close to the babies either. Put the mom back in and thats a cleaning tip. I'm not very accurate and junk, so I would research more, but good luck.

I have a feeling I'm not in Illinois anymore.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
R.I.P. Blue, Nikki, Nosey, Hurley, Roxie.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well, i'm gonna hope they aren't pregnant, because it would be easier to not have babies than it would be to have them, lol. But I'm definitely going to be prepared in case they are...

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Good idea. I thank you lots for rescuing these babies lives.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 11:19 PM

I wish you the best. You don't necessary need to separate if they have litters as they are sisters and have always been together and could possibly help each other but the safest thing for the babies would be to separate just in case. If they do have litters, be sure not to disturb the mom or babies for a 2 weeks (no cage cleaning until this 2 weeks). At 3 weeks they can start being sexed and they start weaning and by 4 weeks have boy in one group and girls in another. Start feeding them some protein like cooked egg whites, chicken, and such to help them if they are pregnant.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I think it has all been said already.. Although there may not be any problem by having two litters in one large cage, I would separate them, just to be on the safe side... They can be reasonably safely sexed at about 3 weeks, but 4 would be better... Don't forget that they sexually mature at about 4 weeks, so the sexes have to separated, unless you want more babies...
The same sex hamsters can be re-introduced. They will have forgotten that they have ever met before... Apparently, if you separate hamsters for more than a 'day', they will forget each other and be 'strangers..:-)

If you want to keep the dad with the mum, make sure that he is removed after the birth, as the mum will be ready for a new litter 48 HOURS after delivery... so take care..
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks so much for your replies. I've just got the two girls (I'm paranoid and keep checking, lol), so no need to remove daddy, lol. The two girls love playing with each other, I'd hate to seperate them, but I might do it tomorrow. I'm at work all day today, and didn't have time to set up a second cage last night or this morning.

8 assorted tarantulas
3 chickens
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 05:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

I heard you can give tiny pieces of scrabbled eggs to them. Hit helps mommy's stomach and the babies love em. But, I may not be sure, pease research it.

1 hamster
1 Bearded Dragon
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

boiled or scrambled egg is OK..

Tags
adoption fee, animal rescue, baby mice, cage cleaning, dwarf hamster, dwarf hamsters, snake food, syrian hamster