lavender oil - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

lavender oil

is the lavender oil in kaytees soft sorbent lavender safe? i've read online that its harmful to small pets. is that true? i've been using it since i got my gerbil so i dont know if hes had any changes in behavior. have any of ya'll read up on or heard of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Adolescent Pup

hmmmm I honestly don't know what to tell ya. Is the lavender smell strong? I mean it would be strong for a little critter before it would be strong to you. I personally never use things with weird smells or chemicals or whatever in them. But I have never used it or heard anything about it. I hope someone can help you.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Newborn Pup

Dear April Showers,
I hope I can help answer your question. There are some misconceptions and/or inaccuracies written online about this product. Soft Sorbent lavender does not use added lavender oils to achieve its aroma. The lavender sent comes directly from the lavender petals in the bedding. These are safe herbal ingredients that create a healthy environment for your small pets.
I hope this helps answer your question, if you have any further questions we would be happy to help. 1-800-kaytee-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh please, "KAYTEE Help". It's funny when you magically show up when someone pops a question about your products, but won't answer ANY criticism towards your products. Like, oh gee, why you manufacture seed mixes for herbivores who don't eat seeds, then play two-face and manufacture strictly pellets. How about some clarity and honesty if you want people to take you seriously?

I don't see any other pet food manufacturing hopping on PawTalk and randomly showing up to save the day when someone pops a question or talks about one of their products. You, suspiciously, seem to be the only one doing it.

That said, to the O.P: Lavender has a pretty strong aroma that most insects can't stand, but I don't know about critters. Anything that contains strong phenols like cedar, pine, chemical cleaners, essential oils...really shouldn't be used around any pet. But like ratprincess said, if the stuff smells strong to you, don't use it for your pet. If it doesn't smell strong, and if your pet is in a well-ventilated cage, it'd probably be okay.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

On second thought, maybe lavender isn't healthy for gerbils at all..check out this link; I found it after google searching "gerbils and lavender":

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...7779bfb2ce4613

I'd tell you what it says...but my internet is being slower than a slug right now, and this is the only site that it loaded somewhat quickly(meaning like.....5 minutes to not even load all the way).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Newborn Pup

FlickeringHope
As a company and as individuals, the people of KAYTEE are very passionate about animals and work hard to promote healthy, responsible pet care and ownership. Through our Kaytee Avian Foundation, the Learning Center here in Chilton, Wisconsin, and ongoing research, we commit a great deal of time and effort to understanding the very specific needs of individual species, their preferences, instincts, nesting habits, sleep patterns, social behaviors and more. We do this so that the products we provide help ensure optimum pet health and foster a strong, rewarding relationship with caring owners.

We listen and respond to all commentary regarding our products, good or bad. We believe that it is important to be forthright and ‘transparent’ in our on-line communications, vs. posting under an alias. We’ve heard from numerous pet owners that they are frustrated with the lack of good information regarding bird and small animal pets, and want to not only offer assistance (in terms of proper education for care and feeding), as well as respond to questions as indicated. We are especially concerned with correcting misperceptions that exist regarding caring for small animals and pet birds.

We offer a variety of diets designed to provide the highest nutrition while providing owners and pets with their most preferred (considering palatability and value) feeding option. Our specie-specific product formulations are based on the expertise and recommendations of well-respected animal nutritionists and veterinarians. We are the only company to incorporate leading edge nutritional value into all our core formulas. Forti-Diet Pro Health, Fiesta Max and Exact formulations include DHA Omega-3 to support heart, brain and visual functions; are rich in natural antioxidants to promote general health and immune support; and include prebiotics and probiotics, natural ingredients that aid in digestive health.

Thank you,
KAYTEE Help
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Blah blah blah.... you're just further promoting your company based on nothing. Few veterinarians know ANYTHING about nutrition; they take like... a 4 hour course or something like that on nutrition, and the rest is medical care. Veterinarians have no right to claim they know anything about pet nutrition. As for nutritionists...some of those are shadey, too, I've read about nutritionists thinking carnivores gnawing on raw bones will lead to puncture wounds in the digestive system. when it is carnivores eating COOKED bones that lead to puncture wounds and obstructions in the digestive system. I've read about nutritionists that think wild wolves would be healthier eating cooked meat than raw. It's utter bull.

Herbivores are just that...herbivores. They eat herbs, plants, and veggies. Not seeds, not peanuts. What's your excuse for that one? You make those foods based on consumer demand, not based purely on the animal's dietary requirements.

You don't know anything about honesty and care.