litter box training a hamster - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

litter box training a hamster

has anyone litter box trained there hamster? I saw this on you tube.com. I don't have a hamster yet ,but thinking of getting one.If I do I'm thinking of a syrian hamster. I here they make the best kind of hamster to start with,and this will be my first hamster ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Aww that's great news Syrians are the best to start with, I began with a syrian, and over the years have got my third one now, and havn't ried the others because I believe syrians are much easier to hamdle, tame and train
When you get your hamster, let him or her settle in for the first week or two and take note of where he or she is peeing because they always go in the same place in their cage. Once you have this figured out, just slip in your litter tray with the litter where he or she usually goes and the hamster should use it without realising It may also help to collect up some of the dropping and previous bedding where the hamsterhas pee'd and putting it into the litter tray for more encouragment, easy as pie Hope you get a hamster soon and best of luck with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Zoo Keeper

Actually you only need to let them settle in for 2-3 days let them settle too long and you will need to resocialize them. Personally I recommend using a different bedding for the litter box. Also do not use a closed litter box it will encourage nesting. My hamsters tend to pick a corner which makes it easy and my male trained himself to use sand as his potty so its really just finding what works for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Playful Pup

Syrian hamsters are generally very easy to littertrain. Just see which corner your new buddy uses and place the litter box there with some soiled bedding. It's as easy as that =] As Elliriyanna said you want to use a different litter for the box.

Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:00 AM
Adolescent Pup

I wouldn't bother with that love! The hamster will pee anywhere until it finds the right spot
I have one called Maury and i never botherd with one off those, waste of money!

Yes Syrian hamsters are the best starter because they are the biggest, and easier too hold and pick up.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM
Betta Bomb

No, syrians are EASY to "train". jeffjey, have you ever tried? My Button was a syrian and I watched him pee in 1 corner ever time. (besides his bed, he peed in bed) anyway, once he got used to his surroundings he was fine peeing in 1 corner. Many people do not realise this though.. But I bought a sand gravel from the pet store, put it in a semi-closed cave and Button would go in a pee in it. He rolled around in it (like a sand bath) and then peed in it so I have to clean it everyday!! lol Poop goes wherever but they pee in one area and their beds bc they are nocturnal den creatures. They love sand and love rolling in it!!! It's very cute. Best of luck!!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 08:00 AM
It's all for them

I learn something new every day! Informative thread!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

If you mean have i ever trained a hamster then no i havn't. I have never needed too, i just let him pee in the corners he wants too.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Adolescent Pup

As for poop, some off my hamsters have chucked it out off the cage in the past! lol
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Betta Bomb

lol!! That's funny! Hamsters are little scamps. I miss them
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Zoo Keeper

There is really no reason to litter train if you have to clean it daily anyway I would recommend cleaning the potty corner daily. And scrub it when you clean it weekly. Its easy really. I had 4 seperate cages and never any problems
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

Ohh they sure are!! lol Can't live without them!
I have 3 cages and no probs either (so far)

Last edited by jeff jey; 04-13-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: missed a word
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 07:58 AM
Betta Bomb

No, there shouldn't ever be problems, its just really cute to have them go potty and makes clean up easier! ^^ Even if you supplied a sand box they could roll around in, too cute!!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Zoo Keeper

use aragonite or hermit crab sand its safe ... Chinchilla sand has silica
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Adolescent Pup

Hmmm never new that, cheers Ellirianna