Lost hamster is inside the floor of the house - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Lost hamster is inside the floor of the house

if someone can help me, my daughter's Hamster ran away yesterday and we can hear he is inside the floor (between the sencond and first floor of the house), what we can do to bring it back???? I've done a couple of holes on the floor but can't seem to find him, any ideas ?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:26 AM

Cool Traps

Use traps in all the rooms he might return to for foo or water. Do some house cleaning. Get all those crums up. So there is only the traps for food and water. You can use buckets of one gallon milk bottles. Cut a hole in the bottles. Take cardborad and cut little ramps. Put the ramp besides the bucket or bottle near the opening. Put food and small lid or bowl of water in each trap. Let night come and darken the house. Have a flash light and listen and wait. Check your traps 2x's a day. till hamster caught. Most important pray.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:34 AM

Lightbulb

Be sure he can't get out except the way he came in, if possible. Leave lots of his favorite treats near where he got in - something warm and smelly such as scambled eggs and cheese. They love that. Only odors will lure him out, unless like mine very tame; mine will usually come over to my voice or to a repeated tapping.

You will have to wait and hope he comes out, and then lure him into a deep pail or such which you can turn rightside up once he is in; or, you can order a Havahart (they are online with that name) humane trap. I have used mine many times to catch my fancy mice. I don't suppose you can't get the trap inside where he is.

Leave out water where he went in.

Good luck.

Last edited by Zouave; 05-25-2005 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Great advice, Zouave!

I hope you can catch your little hammie soon, nestorin. I've got my fingers .

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 07:47 AM

For overnight you could also leave out buckets of food with ramps so that he can climb in and are deep enough that he can't get back out, but won't hurt himself getting in. I've heard that works rather well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 AM

Hope you find him!! I know that's upsetting. This is what I have saved on finding lost hammies.

Put piles of your hamsters usual food mix in the corner of each room. Observe which pile of food gets eaten to determine which room your hamster comes into. Take a bucket and put some bedding and some strong smelling food (such as cheese) inside. Then, using books, build steps up to the top of the bucket. The hamster should clamber up to the top, smell the delicious food and fall in, but not be able to get out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:58 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmaster
For overnight you could also leave out buckets of food with ramps so that he can climb in and are deep enough that he can't get back out, but won't hurt himself getting in. I've heard that works rather well.
It is tricky to get that right. If too deep they will not go off the edge of the ramp top; if not deep enough they will be able to climb out. But if you can try that in a addition to others things, go ahead.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 11:01 PM

You are most likely to succeed in the nighttime or early morning since they are nocturnal. Make sure it has access to food and water some place in case it does come out when you are not around.

A common trick used to catch pet snakes involves putting flour down in between doorways to see if you can track it while you sleep. It should tell you what room to focus in at least. Of course, this only works if other pets, people don't mess up the flour first.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Anyluck getting him?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 04:25 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Yes, use Humane traps, where you put his favorite Food inside, he will go into eat and wont be able to ge out. Any Luck?

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
fancy mice