Meanest Gerbil Alive - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

Angry Meanest Gerbil Alive

So i've been reading through threads and i really like you guys, ahha. i own one fancy gerbil, Bentley, whos is black. and one fancy rat, Winston, who is like a soft light brown/creame.

i've had Bentley for about 6months now, maybe. unsure of his age but he can't be too old. but i swear he is the meanest gerbil ever and distructive too. i recently got him a new cage and he took it upon himself to run and knock everthing over and upset the bedding and run into the walls. and i'm not exaggerating. he also hates it when anyone tries to touch him, which you can assume makes cleaning cages very hard. he bit me the other day.

so i was wondering if theres anything i can do at this point to try and maybe tame him or calm him down; or are some gerbils just high strung and mean?

My Lovely Little Zoo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel, Bentley, Easton, Karma,Patches,Harley, Sara, Jose, Flippers<33
"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Adolescent Pup

Where was he bought from, some pet shops don't handle the animals very often, and they can become skittish or even bite. It just takes time, little by little everyday, no sudden movements or shouting around his cage, try placing your hand into his cage let him sniff/hop on if he wants to, try to feed treats or food he may like from your hand. Gerbils are quite active little things, some more than others, but they are social animals, so perhaps think about the possibility of getting him a friend.

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

i thought about that, but i heard it's really difficult to introduce one gerbil to another. but i don't know i've only read online. i got him at Jack's Pets in my home town, it's so small that i know personally everyone who works there. He also got attacked by my great dane after i brought him home so i don't know if that like ruined him or what.

My Lovely Little Zoo

"Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions - pass no criticisms"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

we had 2 gerbils who didn't 'allow' us to handle them. they would nip at us but they loved eachother. As for the destructiveness..put it to good use..we would put all our personal info (bills, statements etc) into their cage and they would shred them beyond recognition. Way better than a shredder

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hahah! Thats a good idea, who needs a shredder hey

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Guarded by Waffles

My male gerbils got along great when I reintroduced them. Its the females you have to watch out for. They're more territorial!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

huh. welllll i guess ill look into getting mr. Bentley a buddy(: any tips or easier ways to do the split cage method? i know rats can go face to face in a neutral place which is what ill be experimenting with hopefully tomorrow night, i'm going to look at rats tomorrow(: and yeah that's no a bad idea with the shredder thing! thanks my parents'll love that!

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Guarded by Waffles

well if they're both male there SHOULDNT be a problem but i would put the cages side by side first and see what happens. Then introduce them in a neutral place and WEAR GLOVES! I cannot stress that enough. I got bit, it hurts!

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
the bigger heart

yeah he bit me the other day i have thick leather gloves we use to break cows so ill definitely look into that thanksomuch♥

My Lovely Little Zoo

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am so glad you are going to get him a buddy. This will not only keep him from becoming depressed, it may very well lighten his mood considerably and make him a happier, nicer gerbil. I have never know gerbils to be naturally nippy or mean spirited (just people) so either something happened to the poor guy in his past or he is just lonely and getting cranky about it. He will be much happier with a roommate! Also, make sure he has plenty of toys and things to chew to keep his mind occupied so he does not become bored.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.