Megazorb and hay for gerbil substrate? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Megazorb and hay for gerbil substrate?

I use Megazorb as my hamsters' substrate, and I'm wondering if I could mix it with hay and use it as substrate for gerbils, rather than peat or wood shavings? Also, how deep does the substrate need to be? In inches or cm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 11:23 AM
is a little "special"

When I had my gerbil, I would mix wood shavings, hay, shredded paper, cardboard, and whatever other beddings I had laying around together. She loved to dig, and I think she liked having a variety of stuff to tunnel throught. I'm not 100% sure what Megazorb is though?

And I would make her bedding 4-5 inches deep. She loved it, and it didn't have to be cleaned as often.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Megazorb is a horse bedding, it's some sort of paper pulp pellets and it looks like this:

It's a popular substrate for other rodents.

And 4-5 inches is good, that's about how deep I make my russian hamster's substrate - she loves to burrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Zoo Keeper

Gerbils are even more into digging than dwarfs from what I have read ... I think like 8 inches is best but with gerbils the best to do is put in 4 inches of bedding then daily put in things for them to shred.

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Tags
gerbils, hay, megazorb, substrate