Mixing Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Mixing Food

Ok its me again. I want to mix my own food because I am tired of
picking corn out of their food along with fruit. I have heard that I
can use a good canary food and add alfalfa pellets and milo. Is this
true? If so can I just give them alfalfa hay instead of the pellets?

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:24 PM

yes food is ok, but about the alfalfa, i dont think that is very good for them or you might want to remove the leaves because that could cause harm to their cheek pouches.... You might want to save the alfalfa for the
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

If I have four cages (2 in each) what would you suggest? Bird seed mix or Ecotrition and remove the corn and fruit from it? I kind of like the Ecotrition but am sick of taking out all the bad stuff from it. I want my s to have the best

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Try the seed mix, and add other veggies that you fell are ok for s
If that does not work, then if you can try and find another type of food for them to eat without the fruits like that other mix has....

Last edited by Roxy; 04-08-2006 at 03:13 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:16 PM

I know someone who feed their an apple, but i dont know if s can have them.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

You could use timothy hay instead of alfalfa probably.

*Missy*
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 08:17 PM

Kaytee has a gerbils only mix, and so does Sun Seed Vita. Almost no corn. I usually mix them together. Anyone try them??

I also get sick of picking out corn.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:59 PM

Here is a list of stuff I add to my gerbil mixtures ...

Dried Fruits
Raisins, Apple, Cranberries, Blueberry, Coconut, Raspberries, Papaya, Pumpkin, Banana, Pineapple,

Dried Veggies
Carrots, peas, Parsley, Alfalfa leaves, Potatoes, Parsley flakes, celery flakes, Red & Green peppers deiced, Cabbage flakes, leek flakes, diced Zucchini, tomato flakes, Spinach flakes,

Seeds
Oat kernels, Millet (red & white), Pumpkin, Safflower, Sunflower, Rose hips, corn, barley, milo, wheat (middlings),

Nuts
Peanuts (Spanish), almonds, walnuts

Cereals & Other
Corn flakes, wheat flakes, Barley Flakes, Oat groats, Wheat bran, cornflower, Soya bean meal, Extruded rabbit pellets, Cat food, Timothy hay, Dehydrated alfalfa meal, heat processed soybeans, soybean meal.

Extras – Cheese, Applesauce, Cranberry juice, Lettuce, Tomato, Carrots, Broccoli, grapes, apple, clover, boiled egg, cucumber, Dog Cookie, spray millet, Cat/Kitten food, Dried corn on the cob, honey bars, Frozen Fruits & veggies (summer treat)

I like 8 in 1 “ecotrition” (www.eightinonepet.com) to toss in. And i'm sampling with Fortum pellets for gerbils. There are a few things I no longer add, and some thing I add that are not on the list, as I havn't updated it in a while, But it will give you a good Idea of what they can have.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 PM

My gerbil Danny devours fresh veggies with incredible speed. I was thinking of breeding gerbils because they sort of live in packs, are very clean and have such amazing colours...But where can I get gerbils with such good colours like yours, andreaS15 in Saskatchewan or around there?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 PM

Plus, I have a lot of aquariums and spare cages (some that are like 2 feet high and wide) that need animals to live in them! They're so empty! (That's my excuse). And I know a lot of animal lovers around here that could adopt babies from me. =)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Where do you live? If you live near TX I breed gerbils and could help supply you with your first male and female (I have two breeding pairs they wouldn't be brother and sister no worries) but otherwise you could try www.agsgerbils.org and they have breeder listing and that might help you. I am a big fan of ags because they helped me when I was getting started. Speaking of breeding I just had 6 healthy gerbil pups on the 13th so YAY!!!

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:23 PM

I usually end up buying guinea pig food or rabbit food, because the hamster/gerbil food in my area is too grainy and I get more grain than food. The rabbit or guinea pig food seems to be more quality and seems to be the same stuff to me but more quality.

Keppeh, I love your avatar, I love gummy bears.

Christine I wish you lived closer to me, I have been looking for good breeders for hamsters and gerbils, because I prefer to buy from breeders than petstores.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

I do have family up in OK and will drive to meet, about two hours. How far away do you live from Fort worth/Weatherford? If it is about 3-4 hours then I can meet you there.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:46 PM

I live in the Bartlesville/Dewey/Copan area of Oklahoma. Maybe someday if my boyfriend and I go on a roadtrip or vacation we might consider getting a couple of gerbils from you. But it will have to be when we get a bigger home or apartment which hopefully will be next year.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

Well keep me in mind I will be glad to meet you halfway. About December we are moving to Stephenville, TX though so that may cut down or increase the numbers of hours we would have to drive. I am up for it if you are.

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out

Tags
alfalfa hay, animal lover, animal lovers, breeding pair, cat food, dried corn, dried fruit, dried fruits, guinea pig, guinea pig food, kitten food, pig food, rabbit food, rabbit pellets, seed mix, timothy hay