more baby pups - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

more baby pups

This morning just found I have 5 brand new ones, so we had a time trying to see what sex the 6week olds are. I had 3 males, so I put them with the father and the two remaining are girls left them with the mother. I think the older babies will be able to help with the new ones so she can rest, it could be just me but I think shetold one to go up there with the new ones That would be cool if it was true. I have a total now of 22 gerbils. I have too many now, I can't bond with the new ones or else I can't or won't be able to part with them. I have to tame them though I just won't name them or anything like that and it may be easier for me, I could have found a home for the last litter but my son bonded with them and he begged me not too,,, so I didn't, but I also told him the next litter will be sold, so when the time comes they will be no matter what I won't even sell them if I could find someone or some place that would just take them. My gerbils are very healthy I shouldn't have a problem finding them new homes, only problem I will insist that two go together so no one will be lonely lol that is what started all of this gerbil mania in my home, I just bought one because I didn't know the facts and Nibbles wouldn't accept anyone so I bought Skittles the rest is history you might say Deana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM

OK.

So why are you breeding so much when petstores are overstocked in gerbils and I can always find gerbils needing rescue? Half of my 20 are rescues.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:36 PM

Zouave, I think the reason she's breeding is because she enjoys it. -Nods- Most of the time, what I do, is personally find people willing to buy and care for my animals. Pet stores lacking in the animals will also take them, and most petstores won't sell them as feeders, as long as you give them to the right store, and even if they're a bad store, you can talk them out of it.

I enjoy breeding too, but I breed exotics more because I like to introduce them to society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Zouave I am not breeding it just happened. I didn't want my gerbils to be alone so I didn't remove the male, The second pair is because I thought the mother was a male also and found out she wasn't. I know pet stores are over stocked with animals and some are not taken care of. I have seen some stores and I felt like telling them because the gerbils look scraggly they aren't supposed to look like that. I go to pet smart for my feed and bedding and that is where I got my first two gerbils. I have been in 3 different stores and all of thier gerbils were in good health. So with this last litter I am going to have them sold or if I can find someone who wants to have Gerbils and I know they really do then I will give Gerbils to them. In Petsmart I know the people will want them because they are willing to pay the eight dollars for one Gerbil. I don't know if Arizona has gerbil rescue or not. there won't be any other litters for a while until I want some more I have now separated all boys and girls to thier own cages now. but it is just to soon since the last litter and now this new one is why I said I was over whelmed.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:57 AM

Congrats!!!! We must have them!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I will get pictures up as soon as they get thier fuzz right now they are in thier jelly bean stage lol
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I just found out right now that 3 of the newborns have died. She had them up in the wheel, brought the two live ones to the petting zone, when I went to check on her I noticed this so I took the ones in the wheel out and they were gone. I looked again at the other two babies they are very small but they are active so I don't know. From the looks of them they were born to soon I think. Now I will just keep them if they survive just two more isn't so much more than what I have. This is strange now she is just leaving them in the petting zone uncovered, I covered them up, she is up there I am going to see what she is doing. She was just moving around the bedding and now they are exposed again, this is weird behavior for sure, she keeps telling the other babies to go up there and they groom them, I don't know what is going on , only time will tell well she is back up there I need to watch her.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:55 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry!!! Keep us posted...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

I will
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

It is Tuesday morning I just fed all the gerbils and checked on the babies they are still alive and warm. Nemo has settled down too. Last night she was a very busy little mommy, I guess she was looking for the other babies and couldn't find them. She must have known that they were gone right? Or else she wouldn't have moved the live ones. who really knows what goes through thier little minds. I think everything is going to be ok now I also think the 6 week olds are jealous of the babies last night the little one the runt lol we call her Sugar pushed the babies off of nemo and wanted to nurse and she did too. I had one her name is Princess Peanut she still nursed after I had separated her parents but she was much older so I think that was ok for Sugar to do that, and the babies are ok. Technically she is still a baby I feel
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 PM

That's good to hear!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

all 5 gerbils have died They werew born too early about 2 weeks I think the last one went this morning. I can't find the other one so well I won't say it. I am keeping everyone separated now I don't want anymore inbreed babies, that could be the reason they died too is because of that. I made sure everyone was a girl and boy this time and tripled checked lol so I have everyone in order no more babies for awhile now.

Tags
pet store, pet stores