More Gerbil Advice Needed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

More Gerbil Advice Needed

I'm sorry I been asking so much.
I really am learning and providing the best
I can.

So, as my story before. I got 3 gerbils thinking they were all
females. Well, ones a male. They all were housed together until one female had
babies. I took the other female uot in a cage beside them, basically split cage.
Well, the babies are giong to open their eyes any day now. And well the alone
female is now showing she's pregnant. So, now what do I do? I hope I word this
all right...

So Mom#1 is with her 6 pups and Dad. Mom#2 looks due
anytime. Does Mom#2 need help with the litter? I was going to pu the females
back together with 2 female pups, but looks as if she's going to have them
before the first ones are weened. So, I can't do that b/c then I will have to
seperate the male and he will be alone. I can't put pups with him yet, b/c they
are not weaned. So, do I let her alone? Put her with the male? Female? Mix
litters? What? I don't want any more breeding after this. I understand Mom#1 is
probably already. That's okay - I'm just trying to do what's good for them. I
kept him with her to help raise and thoguht the sisters wuold help next round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 12:18 PM

Keep mom #2 by herself. Mixing and matching gerbils around will add to much stress. Adding Dad will add stress and a second litter.

When the current pups are 5 weeks old, take the boys and put them with Dad, Leave daughters to help raise the next litter with Mom (unless she get's upset and starts chasing them, they should all be ok).
If you can get Dad out before the next pups are born (say when the current pups are 4 weeks) he will accept the pups one week later when you remove them from Mom. Male gerbils love cute pups! Otherwise you will again, have another litter, being they mate right away.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 02:53 PM

I agree with Andrea. Leave mom2 alone with her litter, and when mom1's pups are 4 weeks, take out that, and a week after that put the male pups with dad, and let the female pups raise mom1's second litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

But will Mom#1 and Mom#2 ever be able to be together again? And when?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 01:03 PM

No, they probably won't be able to go back together again. But they will have their daughters as cage mates now, so they will be happy.
The only way to have them together again is to split cage just the two of them later on without any pups. Females are alot harder to intro then males, so I'd stick with keeping the daughters with them.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

On another fourm(livejournal actually) three people advised me to take the male out and put the females together. They are split cage now basically and only been for like 2 weeks. They told me to put them together and they will help raise the children together. I havn't done anything yet though. Mom#2 did have her babies yesterday though! She had 4, but one was dead. It looks way bigger than the others. Any reason to that? This is a small litter! At first she didn't want anything to do with them. They weren't even in the nest! But now she won't leave them.

Oh and Litter#1 opened their eyes today! =) How much longer before I can take the males out/weaned?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:21 PM

I have read on multiple forums where people in the same situation as you, or say came home with 2 females from the pet shop, to find out there are both pregnent.
Anways, in both cases The dominate female killed the other females pups. Some not even right away, but as the pups got older it attacked them. What's even stranger is some of these pairs both nursed the others pups and seemed as things were going well.
I would say yes, if only one of them had a litter, but being I haven't heard of this actually working out, i just would not want to chance it. I don't think it's worth the complications or lives

If you really want more opinions of the subject I would sign up on the mongolian gerbil forum. Some people will give you advice on other forums but have never owned a gerbil or bred a gerbil in their lives. I have found that in particular on another forum (not this one). So if you feel you are getting mixed information, I feel the Mongolian Gerbil Forum to be the best for information, being most of the people on there are Breeders/enthusiets from all over the world and have much experiance with the animals.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoTink
Oh and Litter#1 opened their eyes today! =) How much longer before I can take the males out/weaned?
You can remove them at 5 weeks old. 4 weeks if they are eating solid food and you are putting them in with an adult gerbil (dad) to learn "the ways of a gerbil" :p

So will we get to see pictures of the little babies? :
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I should post some pictures! I will snap some after work tonight. Right now they are all sleeping. =)

Man, these little critters are just adorabley cute! Their heads are so big. lol. They walk/zoom all around the tank when their parents let them. It's quite funny to see Mom and Dad run around tring to catch them all.

I still havn't done anything yet. I guess I'll just wait until these wean and go from there. I can't seperate the Dad now, he LOVES his kids! Only problem is, she's probably pregnant again. When will she have these? It's day 19 and she's looking a little chubby.

Eventhuogh I did't do anything yet. I usally let them run around on my bed when I'm cleaning or feeding or something. Well, I havn't since the babies arrived. Mom#1 and Mom#2 always talk back and forth at the cage tops still. And try to rub noses. So, I took both out and let them play on my bed together for about 5minutes. Was this okay? They groomed each other like there was no tomorrow! Then they played tag. lol.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I should post some pictures! I will snap some after work tonight. Right now they are all sleeping. =)
Man, these little critters are just adorabley cute! Their heads are so big. lol. They walk/zoom all around the tank when their parents let them. It's quite funny to see Mom and Dad run around tring to catch them all.
LOL... ya babies are adorable!

Quote:
I still havn't done anything yet. I guess I'll just wait until these wean and go from there. I can't seperate the Dad now, he LOVES his kids! Only problem is, she's probably pregnant again. When will she have these? It's day 19 and she's looking a little chubby.
She could have them between day 24 to day 28 even 30! Some Mom's will hold off on giving birth if they feel the tank is crouded.
Male gerbils make the best "moms" LOL.... they are big pup lovers.

Quote:
Eventhuogh I did't do anything yet. I usally let them run around on my bed when I'm cleaning or feeding or something. Well, I havn't since the babies arrived. Mom#1 and Mom#2 always talk back and forth at the cage tops still. And try to rub noses. So, I took both out and let them play on my bed together for about 5minutes. Was this okay? They groomed each other like there was no tomorrow! Then they played tag. lol.
As long as everything went well, i don't see it being a big problem. Are then in a split cage that they can see/smell each other now?
If so, you 'may' be able to put them together once all the pups are older and no more litters on the way.
I'm just thinking if they are split, and enjoy one anothers company it may work. You would however want to split cage them a litte bit afterwards to though (just in case, females are a bit tricky).
I had a older female and 2 pups split last week, and they played fine in the playpen, and were fine in the split cage, but when i tryed to house them together the older female attacked the 4 week old pup. The 8 week old pup she loves and they are living together currently.
The 4 week old pup now lives with her sister, and is recovering from the attack
That's what i mean about tricky, you just never know and have to be SO careful.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:27 PM

I will later post some adorable photos of a new bunch of dwarf hamster babies. I deliberately got a pregnant female and her sister as I wanted a nice social stable GROUP of dwarfs.

Ask pet stores to separate gerbs BY GENDER unless deliberately breeding.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

I wish pets tores could seperate EVERYTHING male/female
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I wish pets tores could seperate EVERYTHING male/female
Petsmart does.
They only care ONE sex in each store of all the animals. The ones closest to me carries only males, and then the ones about 45 min's away do to. If I want a female I have to drive .. ack, at least an hour or more to another location.
I'm a big Petsmart fan, at least the locations out here. They use Aspen (not pine) all the animals are protected and in nice glass tanks (where no kids can grab at them), they all have wheels, houses and toys! Oh and water bottles, unlike some who toss in a dish that gets all filled with bedding and is useless.

But I agree, I wish more pets stores were like this.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

We don't have a Petsmart. =(

Only PetLand, Complete Petmart, and Pet Supplies Plus(where I work).

I snapped some pictures! And got some questions also. My lil fellows seem to be getting big! And are eatting food now. But I must wait 4 weeks right? They even go up and down on the cage levels now! They love to be handled, good advice for handling when young, eh? Oh! And the father is SO protective. He doesn't bite, but boxes the heck out of you when yuo put yuor hand in the cage! The mom doesn't mind though, she did bite me the night before she had them though. This all normal? I love the lil pups. They grab their dads tail with their new teeth and he drags them around the cage! lol. Oh and any ideas on 'color names', what color they are?

Here is one of the females. FYI: mom is black(white paws and belly/chin) and dad is black/white mixed(like the one below)
This female is the one I handle most! I don't know where she got her color, but it's like a gray/lilac.

Here's a male.

And the other 4(3 male and 1 female) are like mom. Black with white paws/chin. Here is one, to show the size of them.

Sorry picture quality, cam phone.

Last edited by xoTink; 12-22-2005 at 12:17 AM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:25 PM

I think those are great pictures from a phone! I'm impressed!

I would say the first pup is a Lilac, second pied Black (does the collar go all the way around?) and then the rest blacks.
Very cute babies.

Are you planning on haveing a third litter?
If your not planning on having a third litter and the pups are weaned now, you can remove them at 4+ weeks and place them with dad. Then he can teach them "The Ways of The Gerbil" LOL
If not, I'd wait till 5 week, this way they get to learn how to become a gerbil from the parents.

You Dad gerbil boxes you? That is very strange, sounds like something that would be funny to see though.
My Momma gerbil (Lexus) and i bonded alot before I decided to breed her, so when she had her pups she was so excited to show them to me, in fact SO excited she would try and carry the pups up my arm if i put it in the tank!
So I stopped doing that, and she's pick a pup up and jump up the side of the glass at me! I was so terrified she was going to hurt the tiny pups!
She did eventually stop doing that, they got to big :p
So I think it really depends on the gerbils and how much time you had to bond with them first.
If you momma bit you just before she had her pups, I would guess it's b/c she was grumpy and in pain/uncomfortable.... If i was all pregnent and someone woke me up, heck i may bite them too LOL

Congratulations on the litter, they are cuties!

Tags
cage mate, dwarf hamster, males together, pet shop, pet store, pet stores, pet supplies, split cage