mother and daughter - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

mother and daughter

one of my females that are put together are female and daughter, the baby is 6 months old now. the problem is this, they are chewing on the bars at the same place, and someone is crying. all I can see they are trying for the same place no fighting that I can see. thier fur is rumpled up but no bites. I took both of them out and held them close to each other no squabbles is the younger won trying to be dominant now? I can't tell who is doing the crying, but Nibbles the mother is the dominant one even when she was with the father. I really don't know what to think of this new behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I found out who is crying, it is Lucky the baby one, Nibbles is crowding her out and I guess she is just crying like a little kid would when something is being taking away from them because they are not fighting whew this is good news to me.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:38 PM

I use to have a mother and her three daughters live together. At one point they were having there squabbles a few of them, I think this is how they establish order and dominance. Also, sometimes females can be more aggressive than males and can declan.

I would just keep an eye on them. You can also give them a nesting box, a cardboard box with tissue in it, if they sleep together they are less likely not declan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:49 PM

my hamster stayed with another hamster for a few days but since they were in different cages mostof the time, and when they werent they werent fighting too bad but they werent getting along too good either
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Guarded by Waffles

I agree with LittlePaws. Females do have a tendency to declan more than males but a nesting box would be a good idea, and toilet paper that is uncolored and unscented is a great nesting material. NEVER use nesting material in pet stores.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:23 PM

I had gerbil boys almost declan over wheel usage. Silly little boys, I ended up taking out the wheel so they would stop fighting over it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks everyone they are ok now I put the igloo back in the cage I will put some toilet paper in too. But now another problem, I found out today that when I separated the babies when they were about 1 1/2 months with the father and left two girls with the mother, I don't remember if you remember me posting about this but anyway, today I found out one of the girls is a boy, I took him out and put him in with the father and the other 3 boys. I went and bought yet another cage and put two boys in it. then father and sons. Braveheart was scared I thought they were getting along and remembered each other, He was crying and Noodles the father was just near him smelling and things like that like gebils do, but in the petting zone where braveheart was he wouldn't let Noodles in there and finally the last straw is that he was going to fight noodles. He was very unhappy at this point I put him back with his mother and sister. He is happy again, I am going to have him nuetered and keep him with them I could try and get him used to his father but I just have so many now I don't know where to put the others if I did that. I'm not overwhelmed with this at all, the babies are 2 1/2 months now I just want everyone to remain happy and they are now. Next month I will take the baby in and he can remain with his mother and sister. But now also I have the father who will be a year next month and the baby, if something happens to Noodles Speedy will be left alone then, ahh... I guess I better try and get them together I don't understand why it didn't work how could they forget each other so soon and how can I do the I forget what it is called now getting them used to each other in a small cage? HELP ! lol
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:17 PM

You can try the split cage w/them to re-introduce them. You can probably buy a small metal wired cage and put it in there cage or tank and swap each gerbil every 2 hours as much as possible. After a day that gerbils are seperated they become strangers. If they got along once, then they should get along again w/the split cage method.

Tags
cardboard box, nesting material, pet store, pet stores, split cage, split cage method