Moving with a hammi? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Moving with a hammi?

Well my husband got relocated to a new job 6 hrs away, causing us to live apart for a while, now we are going to move there too in a week. I admit with all the hustle and bustle, I never thought to think about our poor family hamster.

Can they be moved on long trips like that without getting scared? We will be moving during the day, will that help cause the hamster will be sleeping? Plus its super cold weather up here in good old canada, so any tips on the best way to move with her? I don't want to give her away, we all love her dearly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 PM
she-mayor of Whoville

She should be fine, I find that if I need to transport my little ones, putting a blanket over the cage/house both keeps them warm and prevents them from seeing what's going on. When driving, avoid sharp turns, slamming on the breaks.. If possible, can you put the cage in the passenger seat with you?

My hamsters generally wake up and are inquisitive when i move their cage around. Also, make sure that the water bottle does not drip a lot with the bumpy ride.. no one likes wet bedding.

If you worry about their temperament after the long journey, consider leaving him/her alone for the day and see if they want to come out the next day.

Don't forget my youtube channel: fuzzypixie16
And add me on photobucket: tinypixiexoxo

"A person's a person, no matter how small" - Horton hears a Who

Boo the

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Izzie the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Panda Bear the dwarf
Smee the dwarf
Sadi the syrian

R.I.P. Jigglypuff the dwarf
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Zoo Keeper

I had to move my hamsters with 15 babies it was only 20 mins but with that many babies its difficult ...

My hamsters also wake up if i move their cage but generally fall back asleep ... I dont worry about putting a blanket over the cage and mine have never had a problem. When i just had one the little one's cage would go in my lap. I'd take ut the water bottle and just offer it to him when he seems to be looking for it. t keep the cage from getting wet. What i d when its cold is if the hammy wakes up wrap it in my jacket otherwise they are very good with cold temps so I wouldnt worry about it. I've also heard a piece of apple instead of the water bottle is good for trips since hammies dont drink a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Betta Bomb

Nah, it should not be a problem, just leave them alone. They'll get over it. Possibly put them in a smaller cage just for transport the day or 2 before you leave so they'll be settled.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you all! tomarrow is moving day!! EEK! Will be back with more questions in my new house im sure! lol!

Tags
cope, hamster, moving