Mr.Fuzzles May Have Wet Tail :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Mr.Fuzzles May Have Wet Tail :(

My boyfriends and I have a little dwarf hamster, Mr.Fuzzles, and I suspect has wet tail...

He's suddenly lost a lot of weight (not emaciated, but he used to be a little grey butterball and is now much skinnier!), and seems to be drinking A LOT. For a little hammy, he downs his cup of water fast. His butt is wet, but there's no feces on the end of it. It seems like it's only pee. I've cleaned up his cage as well.

Tomorrow, my boyfriend is going to the petstore to see if they have Dri-Tail. Is there anything I can do, or give him around the house right now, that can make him feel a little better?

I feel so bad, and this would crush my boyfriend if anything happened to him. We got him when he was 2 weeks old, and he was born on my boyfriends birthday - May 5th.

That's Mr.Fuzzles, before he was sick. This was a few months ago. He was outside with us on a beatufiul day...

Please, and advice and comments are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Rodentologist

Dritail is not effective against Wet-Tail. Try finding a local vet that can see him and get him the antibiotics that he needs.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat View Post
Dritail is not effective against Wet-Tail. Try finding a local vet that can see him and get him the antibiotics that he needs.
Okay, thank you for telling me. I read somewhere that it was actually better then prescriptions from a vet? But I thought that was fishy... I'll make a vet appointment, then, tomorrow for him. Is there anything the pet store would sell that could help him? Or should I just wait for the antibiotics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Actually, I tend to disagree. I had hamsters for YEARS, and Dri-Tail was always effective. I always used the kind made by Mardel. Never had a problem with it. It always brought my hamsters back to tip-top shape.

Unfortunately, the issue with Wet Tail, is the symptoms have to be caught on the first or second day, usually, if you catch the symptoms any later than that, it's too late, and the Wet Tail destroys their immune system. My first experience with Wet Tail, I caught it too late. I gave my hamster the Dri-Tail, but he was too far along. He seemed to do better, but then got it a second time, and died.

But every other hamster I had after him, who got Wet Tail, I noticed it on either the first or second day, administered the Dri-Tail, and they were back to normal in a couple days.

Sorry, I don't agree with the statement that Dri-Tail does nothing. It worked wonders for my hamsters.

It's usually caused by stress, but sometimes hamsters are just born prone to it. I had a hamster who had 6 bouts of Wet Tail because I kept moving him from place to place. I never took him to the vet, and always caught it on the first or second day, and I always administered Dri Tail within 48 hours. He got better, and until I moved him around again, never had another case of it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I am allergic to maths

Im not sure it is wet tail. Maybe just bad diohhorea? Wet tail STINKS, you can smell it as soon as you step through the door. Also, the tail would be wet with brown liquid
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Rodentologist

Yeah, it's one of those things... people swear that it's a miracle and helps their hamsters, but over the counter antibiotics are rarely strong enough to take care of the entire infection. They're a band-aid. It's sort of like getting pneumonia and going to the drug store to use Nyquil.

Here's a couple of articles by the bigger hamster info sites:

http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUn...rsWetTail.html

http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/D...on_of_Wet_Tail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
My first experience with Wet Tail, I caught it too late. I gave my hamster the Dri-Tail, but he was too far along. He seemed to do better, but then got it a second time, and died.

It worked wonders for my hamsters.

It's usually caused by stress, but sometimes hamsters are just born prone to it. I had a hamster who had 6 bouts of Wet Tail because I kept moving him from place to place. I never took him to the vet, and always caught it on the first or second day, and I always administered Dri Tail within 48 hours. He got better, and until I moved him around again, never had another case of it.
Look, no offense, but you cited that you used it on six hamsters. One died, and the other had wettail SIX TIMES. That's because you didn't use correct antibiotics that got rid of the infection in the first place. The first hamster was probably not too far gone if he'd actually gotten to the vet and gotten correct antibiotics instead of over the counter junk.

In addition, the main ingredient in Dritail (By Mardel!) is Neomycin. It's an extremely strong antibiotic which isn't a particularly good choice for hamsters anyway, as it can severely upset the beneficial bacteria in their systems. This is definitely not what you want to do when you've already got a hamster with diarrhea.

Yes, over the counter medication will probably help your hamster survive if you manage to catch the infection while it's weak enough that it won't kill your hamster, but it's likely not to kill all the bacteria and have the infection come back repeatedly. Why take the chance that maybe you caught it early enough when an animal's life is at risk?

I've been rescuing animals now for many years, and we've taken in a LOT of hamsters with wet tail, some of which were so severe we were surprised they were even still alive. With supportive care (fluids and handfeeding) and an appropriate antibiotic, we've never lost any to wet tail.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Im not sure it is wet tail. Maybe just bad diohhorea? Wet tail STINKS, you can smell it as soon as you step through the door. Also, the tail would be wet with brown liquid
That's what I'm worried about. He has some symptoms, lethargy, lack of appetite, etc...but there's no poo on his butt! And he doesn't stink. It smells like pee, really. I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm going to look up Diohhorea...

Quote:
Yeah, it's one of those things... people swear that it's a miracle and helps their hamsters, but over the counter antibiotics are rarely strong enough to take care of the entire infection. They're a band-aid. It's sort of like getting pneumonia and going to the drug store to use Nyquil.

Here's a couple of articles by the bigger hamster info sites:

http://www.hamsterific.com/HamsterUn...rsWetTail.html

http://www.hamstercentral.com/wiki/D...on_of_Wet_Tail

Look, no offense, but you cited that you used it on six hamsters. One died, and the other had wettail SIX TIMES. That's because you didn't use correct antibiotics that got rid of the infection in the first place. The first hamster was probably not too far gone if he'd actually gotten to the vet and gotten correct antibiotics instead of over the counter junk.

In addition, the main ingredient in Dritail (By Mardel!) is Neomycin. It's an extremely strong antibiotic which isn't a particularly good choice for hamsters anyway, as it can severely upset the beneficial bacteria in their systems. This is definitely not what you want to do when you've already got a hamster with diarrhea.

Yes, over the counter medication will probably help your hamster survive if you manage to catch the infection while it's weak enough that it won't kill your hamster, but it's likely not to kill all the bacteria and have the infection come back repeatedly. Why take the chance that maybe you caught it early enough when an animal's life is at risk?

I've been rescuing animals now for many years, and we've taken in a LOT of hamsters with wet tail, some of which were so severe we were surprised they were even still alive. With supportive care (fluids and handfeeding) and an appropriate antibiotic, we've never lost any to wet tail.
Thank you for the URL's. I was reading up on Diarrhoea and that hits all his symptoms! I never heard of it before, so I worried Wet Tail - but it's been at least a week since I've seen symptoms, and if it was WT he would have died...

I cleaned off my bookshelf and set him on top of it. He's nice and snuggly now in his clean cage, and there will be no more veggies and fruits for the little boy. I think what may have caused it is we bought different food for him. God, I feel so guilty...

Should I wait a few more days, taking out veggies from his diet? Or should I make a vet appointment now?

Edit// I just checked up on him. He looks much better then he has the last few days. That eases my mind. His butt isn't wet, but its still a little damp, and I moved his water down closer to his sleepy-spot. I'll nag my boyfriend to make sure he was 100% clean water at all time! My Fuzzbutt's a good boy. I have to go to school now, so give me your opinions on if I should take him to the vet or not!

Last edited by Khodieylia; 12-04-2009 at 06:10 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Actually, I cited I had a hamster who had Wet Tail six times, not that I had six hamsters who had it.

And the reason he kept getting it, was not because I wasn't using the right "antibiotic", it was because I kept stressing him out. Like I said - most hamsters develop Wet Tail due to stressful situations, like cats who develop Urinary Tract Infections - it's not actually an infection, but it is an illness caused by a massive amount of stress that the animal is unable to handle. For my hamster who had 6 bouts of it, the illness first showed up when my parents drove him from New York to Michigan. A couple days later, he started showing signs of Wet Tail. I treated him, and it went away.

His second bout of it, was when I moved his cage to a different area in the house, and a 3 year old toddler started poking her fingers inside his cage. He got it again. I treated him, and he was fine.

Every time he got it, it was because I moved his cage to a different area in the house, or he was otherwise stressed. After I stopped moving his cage around, he stopped developing Wet Tail, and he lived to a healthy 3 years of age.

Dri Tail has never killed one of my hamsters - it's the actual disease, Wet Tail, who has, and that was only when I hadn't treated that hamster in quick enough time. My first experience with it, I caught it too late, and by then the illness had already done its damage. So I ask you - with the few hamsters I've had to actually develop it, when I administered the Dri-Tail within the first two days of the illness, how come it helped them, huh? How come, for any of the hamsters who preceded my hamster who had 6 bouts of it, when they developed Wet Tail, and when I administered the Dri-Tail, they never got it again? And lived long, happy lives after that? That wouldn't have happened, had the Dri-Tail not been right for them.

Perhaps it is "one of those things" ..but I doubt it. For all the years I've had hamsters, and for all the years I've treated those hamsters with Dri-Tail, I've never had a single casualty.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 12-04-2009 at 01:38 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Rodentologist

Urinary tract infections are infections. Urine is tested to determine if bacteria is present and antibiotics are given if bacteria is present. Urinary tract infections are not "an illness caused by stress".

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Actually, yes they are caused by stress.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-u...t-problems.htm

"It is usually first seen in cats between 2 and 7 years of age (though some very young and very old cats may develop signs). Episodes of FLUTD are usually triggered by stress, such as home remodelling, severe weather, or loss or addition of a family member."

http://www.peteducation.com/article....1+2142&aid=214

"
Several factors can contribute to this disease including bacterial or viral infections, trauma, crystals in the urine, bladder stones, tumors of the urinary tract, and congenital abnormalities. In many cases, the cause is never discovered. Factors that may contribute to development of FLUTD include:
  • Not drinking enough water
  • A diet high in magnesium or other minerals
  • Too much acidity or alkalinity of the urine
  • Stress"
It is usually caused by the fact that, when fed a dry food diet, cats get about half as much as the moisture as they would when hunting prey out in the wild. This means, they must concentrate their urine twice as much as they ordinarily do.

Anti-biotics are used to treat UTI, because of they're anti-inflammatory effects, not because it's necessarily an infection.

My cat developed a UTI a while ago after being exposed to an enormous amount of stress. Thus, stress-related.

Point is, just like with Wet Tail, UTIs are most commonly caused by stress-related issues, and less commonly, at least with females, because their urethra is wider than males', an infection.

I am going to bow out of this discussion now, because apparently, Jennicat, you are only here to flame, and I've got more important things to do than pointlessly debate with a forum flamer.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Rodentologist

I am sorry that you equate disagreeing with you to be "forum flaming". I have been on the forum for years and have had many thousands of posts.

I try to refrain from posting information that disagrees with someone else unless it's dangerous to animals, and I do feel that telling someone "No, don't worry about a vet, treat an unknown disease with an over the counter medication because I did!" to be very bad advice.

OP, I'd still say to schedule a vet appointment to be safe.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:50 PM

Dwarf hamsters cannot get wet tail just severe diahorrea. Only Syrian hamsters can't get wet tail and it is cured by antibiotics.

You will probably need a course of Baytril from a vet.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Playful Pup

He needs to see a vet, even for diarrhea. Diarrhea can be fatal to hamsters if not treated quickly enough because it can dehydrate them. Also, there's usually an underlying cause for the diarrhea that needs to be treated. Get him to a vet ASAP & then get back to us with the results! I hope he gets better soon!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Playful Pup

Oh & about stress & UTI's: all mammals can get UTI's (yes, even humans; it's extremely common) & it IS an infection to be cured with anti-biotics. Anti-biotics are NOT an anti-inflammatory. That is a completely different type of medication. Do not trust everything you read on the internet. Any qualified vet would tell you that anti-biotics do not treat anti-inflammatory related problems. Any qualified doctor, for that matter, would, too. Heck, your animal could've gotten the infection from a bacteria the 3-year-old introduced to it while poking.