My brother found a cage of 10 baby hamsters... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

My brother found a cage of 10 baby hamsters...

Now I'm not new to rodent care, i had pet mice for a long time, and I babysat my friends hamsters when I was younger, but baby hamsters? Thats a whole other ballgame.

My brothers and I guessed that they're about 16-28 days old, something around that. I'm attaching a picture i took of them, and so if i'm wrong let me know.

Now we're planning on keeping a few of them, and giving away a few, are they too young to be given away to new homes yet? is there anything specific we should be feeding them? etc etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1361.jpg (75.4 KB, 37 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Adolescent Pup

Oh my god.
Those things are friggin cute LOL! Do you know if one of them is the mom? 16-28 days is about 2 to 8 weeks. SO, at about 3 weeks its best to start weening them. Be mindful though the mom [if she's in there] is going to be very protective.

Here's a good article on baby hamsters:
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hamst...sterbabies.htm

[Its if your hamster accidentally has them, but its pretty much the same].

They are tooooo cute!!! XD.

You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Aww, they are very cute. It's so sad that they were dumped- I assume?Where did your brother find them?
Also, you said you plan on keeping a few, is that one each for you and your brothers? They look like syrians, and after about 8-10 weeks they will need their own cages because syrian hamsters are solitary and therefore live on their own. In the photo, there is one little hamster thats just climbing out of a towel that looks younger than the others, either that or it must have been the runt of the littler I'd imagine? If you not one hundred percent sure of their ages I'd split the boys from the girls up now, just in case, though they do look young. It may just be the picture, I'm not sure.
I wish you the best of luck!
x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Rodentologist

They are also probably of breeding age, so be prepared for several more litters.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone

My brother and I split them up last night, and we've got 5 girls and 5 boys. The littlest one in the picture is a runt, and we're not sure if she is going to survive, so we're keeping a close eye on her.

We were intending to keep two each, and we're pretty sure that they've already been weaned from their mother's milk, as when my brother found them they had a food bown full of bird seed.

Also, he found them while at Wal-Mart, where he works. He's one of those cart-pusher guys.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM

Oh my. Hmm. If they show any aggression, seperate immediately. That might be the start of the territorial age. And the females are more territorial than the males. And if you have two each, make sure they each have their own cage. =] And keep the runt alone, because s/he's small and weak, the brothers and sister might see it as an easy target and kill it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aww! They are so stinkin cute!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Aww! They are so stinkin cute!
Hehe, they are, aren't they?! ^-^ Animals were just meant for cuteness. Everything is cute to me. Even snakes. I don't like bugs, though.. ironically. -points to name-

=3

Tags
abandoned, baby, hamsters