My Dottie - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Post My Dottie

This is a story how my training in Field First Aid did wonders for my little girl, Dottie.

Just this past monday, I noticed a lump on my little girl Hamster. I just popped up out of nowhere that weekend. Well, i noticed a little puncture mark, as if she had a nip from her brother,and was slightly yellow tinted, but I decided to let is be, and keep her under observation. As this week passed, it got bigger and bigger. Thinking it was a tumor, I asked a vet 2 days ago. She didn't want to talk at all, she kept mentioning a 35 dollar office visit then big fees after that.... go figure, thats Banefield (petsmart) for you.

I examined her today for a possible vet visit Monday afternoon. and her mark seemed to become a bit greenish.
I knew exactly what it was, and decided to lance it myself to relieve her system of the infection.

I had no idea what just how bad it was, it was a big as a nickel, and was about a half inch bulge at this point.
I numbed the area with Ice, and took a medium 20 gauge sterile needle and lanced it.
I know she feels better. Because at first I was getting a little puss from it, gently messaging it toward the hole I made, I gave a slight amount of pressure and WOW! It wasn't ready for the next event, I bet a good 20-25 mL of infection squeezed out. It went everywhere, on my hand, all over my desk... etc etc.

She didn't like it at all, just like humans dont, but did not try to bite me. I got most of it out of her, and used a weakened solution of peroxide around the area and inside the new wound to help clear it, and applied antibiotic ointment to the area, it seems her skin was already dying at the wound, which is normal.
This mass of infection was so big, it left a small crater in her belly/side where it was. A small bit of infected fat came out also, but I just trimmed it with sterile scissors before cleaning and applying the ointment.

Washing her just before I did it, so she was clean, and putting her in a freshly cleaned bin of bedding with all toys removed until she heals up. Now its time to give her a tid bit of garlic, as it acts as an internal antibiotic, if the vet wont write me a prescription without a office visit charge. I will also up her vitamin supplement while for 10 days.

The Lord and Lady love all their children. Even the cute furrbutts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am glad she is getting better! And yes Banfield knows nothing! I brought my cat there once, because it was open on Saturday, when she had a tumor and they didn't even touch her! And her report said perfectly healthy. Sorry off topic, but they are not good vets. Not to say they are all bad, but my experience was. Can't wait for more updates on your little girl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie