My first litter... I think I'm ready!
After all the research, I think I have finally come to the conclusion that I'm ready for my first set of babies. The only thing I have yet to totally comprehend is breeding for color... could have something to do with me not faring so well in biology and chemistry... lol But I'm not breeding for money, or color for that matter. I am breeding for a sheer love of the animal and temperament, and I've prepared myself with what my research has dictated as the necessary tools:
1)Aspen, Carefresh bedding. Completely cleared out the old pine, to prevent respiratory infections. Plus my adults seems like it better. It's easier to tunnel.
2) I threw in a half a roll of unscented toilet paper... and MAN! They love that stuff in their nest, especially the daddy. I had previously just thrown in a empty tube the paper was on for chewing, and I thought they liked that... They love the whole thing!
3) plenty of food and water in the cage, plus mealworms for protein (although the mom doesn't seem to have a taste for them... lol)
4) Kitten replacement milk and a infant medicine dropper, just in case.
5) a Clamp lamp with a bulb intended for small animals... my ex used to use it for their uromastyx lizard before it passed.
6) finally, Ornyacycline, which I read on several sites does wonders with respiratory infections. I found it in the bird section, just as the site said.
But there are no wheels or toys, and although my daddy wants to run, he's coping playing with the toilet paper.
But can you think of anything I am forgetting? Your assistance would be great. As I'm sure my little Lightning (the mom) is, I am really nervous about the first litter. I keep checking on them between commercials, even though its 3:45 PM here and I hear they usually go into labor in the middle of the night.
Lastly,BEING a first time parent of gerbil pups, I'm not entirely sure she is pregnant.... She is pear shaped, Nesting MUCH more, stretching and licking herself *down there* more... and I felt her belly twice (light touching!) and I felt a little rumble and felt like one or two little ones.
What are your thoughts? Your assistance would be AWESOME! Have I forgotten anything vital? Your thoughts on the potential pregnancy? Sorry, I'm just a little nervous. Thanks in advance!