My first litter... I think I'm ready! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My first litter... I think I'm ready!

After all the research, I think I have finally come to the conclusion that I'm ready for my first set of babies. The only thing I have yet to totally comprehend is breeding for color... could have something to do with me not faring so well in biology and chemistry... lol But I'm not breeding for money, or color for that matter. I am breeding for a sheer love of the animal and temperament, and I've prepared myself with what my research has dictated as the necessary tools:
1)Aspen, Carefresh bedding. Completely cleared out the old pine, to prevent respiratory infections. Plus my adults seems like it better. It's easier to tunnel.
2) I threw in a half a roll of unscented toilet paper... and MAN! They love that stuff in their nest, especially the daddy. I had previously just thrown in a empty tube the paper was on for chewing, and I thought they liked that... They love the whole thing!
3) plenty of food and water in the cage, plus mealworms for protein (although the mom doesn't seem to have a taste for them... lol)
4) Kitten replacement milk and a infant medicine dropper, just in case.
5) a Clamp lamp with a bulb intended for small animals... my ex used to use it for their uromastyx lizard before it passed.
6) finally, Ornyacycline, which I read on several sites does wonders with respiratory infections. I found it in the bird section, just as the site said.
But there are no wheels or toys, and although my daddy wants to run, he's coping playing with the toilet paper.
But can you think of anything I am forgetting? Your assistance would be great. As I'm sure my little Lightning (the mom) is, I am really nervous about the first litter. I keep checking on them between commercials, even though its 3:45 PM here and I hear they usually go into labor in the middle of the night.
Lastly,BEING a first time parent of gerbil pups, I'm not entirely sure she is pregnant.... She is pear shaped, Nesting MUCH more, stretching and licking herself *down there* more... and I felt her belly twice (light touching!) and I felt a little rumble and felt like one or two little ones.
What are your thoughts? Your assistance would be AWESOME! Have I forgotten anything vital? Your thoughts on the potential pregnancy? Sorry, I'm just a little nervous. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Hello Earthling

Have you purchased breeding quality animals from a reputable breeder?

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Adolescent Pup

gerbil pups are amazing and breeding is so rewarding. Are you keeping mommy and daddy in the same cage? If so, you do know she can get pregnant right after she has this litter right? back to back breeding is very harmful. I had my first breeding pair together all the time. Luckily for me my female wouldnt let my male mate with her until 1 month after her previous litter was weaned. But that doesnt mean all gerbils will do this. My advice is to take daddy out, yes he will help with the litter but she will ger pregnant right away again. You can keep some male pups from her litter to eventually put in with him so hes not alone if you dont have any more male gerbils. Then wait at least 1 months after the previous litter is weaned to try and get her pregnant again. Also do you have homes lined up? Are you prepared to keep 8-10 pups if no homes can be found?

Ornyacycline is what i use for my rats, never used it for gerbils but i have a friend who has. I know it works perfectly for my rats and saves a vet visit too. Although i have 20 rats so treating 20 rats with that does get costly lol. But anyways, if you have any questions just ask. I will try to be here to answer. I learned alot when i bred gerbils. I bred gerbs for 6 years. So good luck and enjoy.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

Tags
gerbil breeding, gerbils