My gerbil is fat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My gerbil is fat

My gerbil Button, is a little larger than she should be. Can anyone give us ideas on how big gerbils are supposed to be?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

You said she's a little larger than she should be, so, in a way, don't you already know how big she's supposed to be? o.O
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well, we have two. And Button is a lot larger than the other one, even though we got them at the same time and have brought them up the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

All I can find on that is that gerbils are supposed to be "larger than a mouse, and smaller than a rat". *sighs*
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Playful Pup

maybe Button just eats more. i kno one of my gerbils are bigger than the other. just depends on how much they eat & exercise

Mom & Dad to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2 Gerbils - Caramel & Smokee (Brothers)

1 Ball Python - Hermes

2 Cats - Milo & Dusty

R.I.P :

Robo Hamster - Princess (1 1/2 yrs old)
Wild Field Mouse - Joie (1-2 yrs old)

Gray Field Mouse - Peanut (Raised from new born baby, eyes were still closed!!! Died without cause)

2 Lab Mix Dogs - Bear & Princess (10 or 11 & 13 or 14 yrs old)

4 Cats - Butterscotch (15 yrs old) , Thunder (14 yrs old), Misty (15 yrs old) , Nicky (7 yrs old)

1 Corn Snake - Rose (2 yrs old)

2 Guinea Pigs - Lucky & Carrot top (3 yrs old)
1 Betta Fish - Squirt (2 yrs old)

-To many Fish to Count!!-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Yeah I think that's the case. Button never passes up the opportunity of a treat, whereas Rio doesn't take them all the time.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 AM

Try giving Button extra excercise? My gerbils love swimming in the bath. Put a bit of warm water in so they can still stand up if they don't want to swim then lift them but keep them in the water and move them back and then let go. They should swim back to where they were.

Like if you teach a kid to swim. Guide them a few times and then they'll do it alone. Have a camera ready as it's hilarious sometimes. Chuck toilet tubes in as they don't care if they're soggy.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Newborn Pup

I have 3 gerbils, one is called Button too and he is tiny. A normal, fully grown gerbil should weigh about 60g. Another of my gerbils is overweight and weighs around 75g, I suggest giving your gerbil slightly less food and definitely more exercise.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Playful Pup

Most Gerbils eat the sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds first... Buts its good for them to eat the dried fruit and the pellets to get in all their nutrients.

-What kind of food do you feed them? Is it all pellet, is it a mix of dried fruit, seeds etc. ?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." ~ Roger Caras
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Adolescent Pup

If your not sure get a book on Gerbils, and see what it says.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

We just get a big bag of gerbil food from the pet shop, I'm not entirely sure what's in it tho.

How do you give them exercise? We gave them a wheel but all they did was poo in it. The bath thing does sound like a fun idea. Do you know just how to have the water? Don't wanna do it too hot or too cold.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks to everyone for all your help. Unfortunately Button passed away today. We still have Rio but it's still a very sad day.

Tags
fat, gerbil