My Gerbil Needs Some TLC - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

My Gerbil Needs Some TLC

Hey guys, first post in the Gerbil forums. I have a question about my Gerbil. I got him from a former friend of mine who if I didnt take him she was going to just let him run out the door in the middle of winter! She had him seperated from the other gerbils (because he "fought") and part of his tail is gone(I have no idea what happened) and she fed him bad foods for him. Physically he doesn't seem sick, but over the past 2 months or so he still hasn't warmed up to me or anyone else in the house. I've tried just putting my hand in the cage and letting him smell me a couple times a day and give him a treat sometimes. But nothing, he always clenches his eyes closed when we go near him and all he does is hide in his little burrow. How can I help my little Davinci cheer up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Adolescent Pup

how much of his tail is gone? they can lose their tail as a defense mechanism if it gets caught on something or if someone grabs them by the tail. he could be lonely, when my gerbils are alone they always seem alot less active. but pick him up and check the base of his tail make sure it has normal fur and isnt wet, listen to his breathing and see if he is making a clicking noise. I would try getting another gerbil to put in with him a 8-10 week male and use split cage to introduce them. Any questions just ask

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

physically he is fine, we've had him for awhile. He just doesn't like people and I would like to know how to change that. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

put some sunflowers in the palm of your hand and lay your hand flat in the bedding do this for a couple minutes every day soon he should start to warm up to you and eat the sunflower seeds at first he may run and hide with them but as he gets more comfortable with you he may sit on your hand and eat them. or you could try sitting in an empty bathtub with your gerbil. he will learn you wont hurt him and youll turn into a jungle gym to him. Good luck

Cat=1
Degus=2
Dogs= 4
Gerbils=8 (more on the way soon)
Hamsters=2
Parrot=1
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Talking

so we've done as suggested and in 2 days he's already warming up to us. Who would have known it was that easy as to sitting in the tub with him!? Thanks a lot for the advice he's already sitting on our hands and crawling up us onto our shoulders.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh!! That was so heartwarming to read the transition that is taking place!!! I don't have any gerbils--just hammies, but you are a saint for rescuing the little guy!!! I'm sure he'll realize that very soon!!!

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks, I'm really excited about his progress. Now I just have to get him crawling on my hand from inside his cage

Tags
depressed gerbil :(