is my gerbil pregnant? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thumbs up is my gerbil pregnant?

Ok so i have two gerbils one boy and one girl but i wanna know if the girl is prgnant cause ive seen one on top of another and i dont know if thats mating anyways she builds up a nest ive been looking crazy for videos but im just not sure the video says she will eat more and drink more and shes done all that stuff but it also says her nipples will be seen easily but i can't see them and shes not fat either.

So i could use some help please

Last edited by Yadiel1780; 11-30-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

may I ask why your female and male are together , was it intentional , either way the male should be removed from the cage, as if she is pregnant she will more then likley have back to back pregnancys if the male is in the cage, which isnt healthy at all. As for weather she is pregnant or not. It sounds like she is nesting something they often do when pregnant, she maybe just at the start of her pregnancy give her lots of things to build nests with and food.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous

Last edited by Nibbler; 12-01-2012 at 04:35 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks anyways ill be posting a video to youtube so you guys can tell me if shes pregnant or not

the llink will be posted soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ok people so i couldnt upload the so instes look for me on youtube as:

W75zdl43ml86mrad3vtjka

Or the title

Is my gerbil pregnant ?

Last edited by Yadiel1780; 12-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Ok so i have two gerbils one boy and one girl but i wanna know if the girl is prgnant cause ive seen one on top of another and i dont know if thats mating anyways she builds up a nest ive been looking crazy for videos but im just not sure the video says she will eat more and drink more and shes done all that stuff but it also says her nipples will be seen easily but i can't see them and shes not fat either.

So i could use some help please
sorry long post

from the video she doesn't look pregnant, although quite often pregnancy is not obvious until the later stages, which is when the nipples become more pronounced and the belly clearly round.

why are you breeding?? is it just to have cute babies? or is it to create good quality gerbils? are your gerbils from at petstore? a warning about breeding petstore gerbils, as you dont know their history you can not know whether there are any genetic defaults in their line, and most store 'stock' are bred in large rodent farms that give little/no quality of care to them. this means that they are more likely to pass on health problems to their offspring.

you need to think about do you have the money to care for a litter, and of course multiple litters if you leave the male and female together. back breeding (female being forced to have litter after litter) will be hard on your female and if continued for some time may cause her to be very unwell. do you have homes for all the babies produced? as i said if you don't remove the male, it will be an endless cycle, multiple babies you will need to find homes for. can you ensure all will find good homes? also will you be able to afford vet care if one or more of your gerbils need it? females can sometime require emergency vet care if they encounter difficulty birthing, without this you could lose babies or your female could die. sometimes babies can suffer from respiratory infections or other illness, and runts are not uncommon, will you be able to care for them?

Remember male and female pups must be separated at 5 weeks and must be housed separately (in different cages) to prevent them breeding.

breeding gerbils can be expensive and if you cant provide this care then i would remove the male. if your female does have a litter the maybe keep some of the pups to keep your a adults company i.e. a female pup as a friend for your female, and a male pup as a friend fro your male. this way your gerbils can have companionship but wont have to breed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i have remove the male from the cage 1 week ago but if my gerbils is pregant, could she eat the babies? i thought if she had the babies i would give them to my snake (dont call me an assasin snakes has to eat too).

Tags
gerbil