My gerbils are afraid of the dark? :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Cool My gerbils are afraid of the dark? :)

for the past couple of days my gerbils have been thumping loudly when I turn off the light. The TV is still on no one in here but me. They used to thump sometimes if I moved or something. But now it is all the time when I turn off the light. tonight I am on the computer had the light off and in two cages with babies started thumping. I turned on the light and got the ones who were doing the thumping held them a few minutes put them back in thier cage. They are really scared I don't know what it is, nothing has really changed from before this started happening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 04:37 PM

Leave a night light on for them!

(I never heard of this. Mine never have thumped for that reason).
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 PM

They are probably just borrowing there litter. They are dessert creatures, and by nature borrow trying to make tunnels like they would in there natural habitat. I hear my gerbils make alot of noises at night too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

my gerbils are in my room still I have gotten used them they have the TV on all night, and sometimes computer light from the monitor. It hasn't happened again since I posted. It was just that night they were so jumpy, they got spooked at something but after turning the light on and holding them reassured them I believe They were deffinitely thumping not burrowing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 02:05 PM

My gerbils get spooked sometimes too. They hear a sudden noise and the skatter all over there tank and hide, and I have had one of them going on 3 years and she can get spooked from time to time, and my other one I just got yesterday but so far he seems really mellow and layed back. Gerbils are also very curious by nature, and they may be thumping to get your attention, or if they are afraid of something they will thump there hind legs sometimes, I have seen some of mine in the past do that too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 07:03 PM
RAT ADDICT

My gerbil rarely thumps...she usually does it if there is a new sound or new person comes in...thats about it.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

yeah they thumped a little bit today nothing like the other time. I was holding one of the females today and she wet on me I changed my shirt but I guess she was still on me because when I had the male he started thumping I guess it is time for them again lol no way will they be together not now. I'm still undecided about the nuetering thingy, still worries me kinda. Littlepaw your gerbil is going on 3 years? wow I hope mine will live long too. My favorite gerbil the one pictured in my siggy is the oldest she is a year now this month and I dread the day she leaves me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Scared Gerbils?

Hi Deana,
Well it sounds like the TV glow made them less scared, yes? You are such a good mom to take them out and comfort them, hooray for nice gerbil moms!

Maybe they do like having that comforting light. We have a little nightlight that we turn on at night, very very low light, but we just automatically put it on.
Vladina
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

yeah theylike the tv on because every since this post they are jumpy with it off, if I turn over or pull the covers up, go to the bathroom and it is dark they jump and and thump I just call out it's ok and go about my business I may get a night light just in case the tv isn't left on all night.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Re: Scared Gerbils/Nightlight/TV

Hi Deana,
Yes, I do the same thing if my gerbils get skittery and scared over a noise or something...talking to them so they can hear my voice and making some soothing sounds, etc, and they calm down. I know it must comfort them hearing my voice, or my husband's.
Yeah, a nightlight is a great idea, I am sure they would like that, in case the TV is off.
Vladina

Tags
hind legs