My Gerbil's Narcoleptic? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

My Gerbil's Narcoleptic?

Me and mum noticed a little while ago, that our gerbil Button falls asleep in the weirdest of places.

Both of our gerbils are always chewing the bars [we've given them loads of things to play with and treat sticks and constant amounts of things to chew, but they still do it], and we noticed a few times that Button would be chewing the bars, and then suddenly fall asleep. We'd walk over, her mouth would still be over the bars, but her eyes would be shut and she'd be asleep.

We've got a draw under the gerbil cages which has all of their treats in [dried fruit, etc] and when you open the draw, the gerbils would usually pop up, looking for a treat. Well, if you open the container, she suddenly wakes up, with a little jump. It's quite cute really.

Another time we've caught her; she's got a little thick plastic bowl at the top of her cage which we put sand in for her. She mainly uses it as a toilet, but she sits in it a lot of the time. Well, I walked past her cage, and spotted her with her head resting on the edge of the bowl, asleep.

She sleeps most of the day anyway, so I don't know if she's actually narcoleptic, or if she's just lazy. What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

I have had gerbils do that. What kind of cage do you have her in? How many other gerbils are with her? She might be bored if the cage is to small. I know my gerbils if I kept them in small wire cages they would bite the bars. I keep my gerbils in aquariums now. I have my 3 boys in 45 gallon tank. That really big and you dont have to go that big. I know now many people would agree but my rule is always no more then 2 gerbils per 10 gallons. In fact if you have 2 gerbils a long 20 gallon would be great. I had my old gerbil before he died in a long 20 just by himself cuz his friend died and I didn't wanna stress him out by putting him in something smaller. But yeah, a long 20 would be perfect for a pair of gerbils. You can usually find people who are giving tanks away or selling for real cheap if you look.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I've got two, but they're in separate cages as they started fighting [to the point they were drawing blood, and one of them wasn't able to get any food].

I'm not sure what size cage she is in, but I know we were told it's big enough for 4-6 gerbils. We think they were fighting because it was too big for the two of them. The other gerbil is in a cage the size for 2-3 gerbils, and she chews the bars just as much.

They're both in gerbilariums, with a tank at the bottom and wire at the top. Button's in the bigger one, as she prefers to dig, whereas Rio prefers to chew things. She can go through a toilet tube in 20 mins :]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM
Newborn Pup

I know this sounds very strange but what is the colour of your gerbils eyes as we have a russian (campbell) dwarf hammy and she has red eyes and tends to not like the light in her face. Sadie (the hammy) tends to walk around with her eyes closed in normal sunlight. I know you have a gerbil but maybe she doesn't like bright light!!!! does she come alive when the lights are off as Sadie does.