My hammy is sick :( please reply - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy My hammy is sick :( please reply

I started to realise my hammy Nipsie (female almost 3 year old pandabear hammy) was getting verry light (as in weight) and then like a week after I realised she was VERRY heavy. My sister thought it was tumors so I felt around and she has a tun of little ones under her front legs kinda like in the pit and one big one on her back leg like right on the bone. It must hurt her alot I mean less then a week ago she was was hyper and verry good at climing and now I have to help her up onto my shoulder (her favorite spot) and she moves verry slowly.... I know she is old and all...... so should I take her to the vet? even if they couldnt cure ity but to take away the pain?

Please answer this I want the best for her while shes still here

thanks
-buggygirl65-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Anytime you are talking about tumors I think your best option is to see your vet. Like you said, your vet may not be able to help if it's too far along, but he/she will be able to help you decide what the best decision is for the health and welfare of your hammie.

It's a little strange, my hamster had a growth on him that we thought was a tumor as well, we planned to take him to the vet, but after about a week it was smaller, and it didn't affect his energy level or anything. It's mostly gone now. We have a friend that had a similar occurrence. I don't know if this is common in hamsters or not, but it may not be as bad as you think. If it affects their disposition and energy level though, it may be best to check with your vet and get their advice.

Good luck!
Andy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 AM

Totally! Take her to the vet...I am sooo sorry to hear that...I am praying for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

thank you I will take her to the vet sometime this week posibly today they havent gotten any smaller...I am holding her now and I think her being slow is from her age. she has trouble climing up the shortest things now I think its getting worse . It might just be that she is old and weak but just in case she is in pain I will bring her to the vet as soon as possible .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar462
Totally! Take her to the vet...I am sooo sorry to hear that...I am praying for her.
I think the best thing to do is take her to the vet...you never know maybe they could help her. But I know how you must feel, and I'll be praying as well.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am sorry to hear that.Talk to your vet.

It may not be tumors,it could be cysts or abscesses.I had a rat with a cyst.I thought it was a tumor,so I took her in.Turned out it was a cyst and had to be drained.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

I took her to the vet 2 days ago and they said she was doing good the one under her front leg is probably a swollen lymphnode . the one in her back leg feels like a fatty mass . He said one might be cancerouse. also she lost all of hey toe nails, the vet said its from old age I mean she is just about 3yrs old I asked about the pain he said there is no pain ......if there was she would be limping. he said she has atleast 6months left and she is in verry good shape So ill be keeping an eye out for any limping.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 01:39 PM

im glad to hear its nothing awful serious. yeah shes an old girl