my hamster died, worried about my other two ): - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

my hamster died, worried about my other two ):

so i had/have three hamster sisters, poppy, pluto and pudding, and earlier today pluto passed away ): at first i thought she was hibernating even though she's a dwarf hamster because i noticed a heartbeat (she was curled up) so i looked up stuff and tried to warm her up, rubbed her gently, and her eyes opened and her legs moved, and she stretched out a little so i thought she was getting better. she started peeing a little, like little spurts/drops at a time so i patted a tissue down there to clean it up since she was in my hand whilst i was rubbings and warmings. eventually i noticed that she stopped responding. and i saw that she was stiffer and i could'nt move her limbs and there was not a heartbeat.

i hadn't noticed anything health wise wrong with her recently, except poppy and pluto seemed to be more active and hyper (climbing cage more, running around lots, etc) than usual and pudding seemed to be awake more (shes a fatty and a sleepyhead ). i looked up possible diseases, but couldn't find anything that fit... i changed their water (from a different faucet and everything) and i'll be changing their bedding asap and cleaning their cage/wheel.

is there anything else i should do for them?
i put fresh food from the hamster food bag in there daily and change the water periodically.... the cage is covered with 2 layers of shirts to keep drafts out and cold air out, and a few days ago they could get to an edge to chew it but i moved it so they wouldn't suffocate. i got a heater in my room and i'll be using it at least to warm up my room a little so they're more comfortable.

): i've never had a pet before, and these hammies are shared with my roommate (its winter break and i'm keeping them). pluto was the one she loved most but i loved her too and i'm really sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm really sorry, I'll bump this for you so you can some more replies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:07 AM
I am allergic to maths

Im sorry! Hugs! Your other two will be fine, they may be upset for a day or two but since they are together you have no worries of them being lonely. The best thing to do would be to clean out their cage and maybe give them a new toy or two to help take their mind off it. The spurts of pee were from her muscles relaxing, dont worry, you havent done anything wrong, I doubt that it was from the cold or anything, it was just her time to pass. RIP pluto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

mm, i'm going back to petsmart monday to get new bedding and maybe more food/toys as well as to check up my hamsters with the petsmart ppl.

i don't know ): i got the three of them in october so they were with me for just a few months, and i read somewhere that most store hamsters are relatively young, like just a few m oonths old when they are sold.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

): i went to check up on them and poppy has passed away as well. i'm really worried about pudding.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I am allergic to maths

Pudding needs a vet ASAP! If the two of them died that could mean there was a disease and there is a risk of pudding having it to. Their entire cage will need scrubbing and disinfecting. If pudding is ok in the end, you may want to get her a freind but now is not the time, she needs a vet and a 3 week quarantine before she is in the clear
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

yeah, i've taken pudding out of her cage and i'm keeping an eye on her. i'll see if i can find a vet to take her to ): i can't go until monday though, i'm hoping she'll be fine until then
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
I doubt that it was from the cold
The above advice is so correct. Hamsters don't like it too warm. In their native environment, the desert, it's very cold at night and they mostly live underground anyway in cool conditions at stable temps

OP: So sorry for your loss

K
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Well the last one seems be be fine <3 She's super fat, so it's the ball for her once I go back to the dorm tomorrow (although she ninjas her way out of it....)

Thanks all (:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Playful Pup

How is she doing? I had a friend whose little Cambell, Sammi, died unexplainably after about 4 months. She played with her that night & everything was fine, & the next morning, she found her dead in her cage. Sometimes you just can't see these things coming or find an explanation for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by terradi View Post
Well the last one seems be be fine <3 She's super fat, so it's the ball for her once I go back to the dorm tomorrow (although she ninjas her way out of it....)

Thanks all (:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

she's doing well. i'm looking into getting her a friend but petsmart people said it was hard to mix litters like that, but she's fat and lazy so hopefully...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Playful Pup

Since she's fairly young, there's a better chance she'll be able to get along with another hamster. Still, even large & lazy hamsters can be territorial, & when the new hamster is smaller, it's hard for them. I'd try & find a new hamster that's as close to the same size as you can get, so she doesn't get too injured, just in case. Also, be prepared that should they not end up getting along after a while of trying, you may have to get another cage & separate them.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Playful Pup

How old is she, exactly?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 PM

I tried to re-introduce my "runt" hamster back with his brothers to see if he would eat a bit and they started boxing at each other. They were apart for less than two weeks and are the same age, same litter. Just keep that in mind; even when hamsters are from the same litter they tend to get territorial, sometimes even if you never seperate them. Like keychange said, be prepared to purcahse a second cage, etc. You would be surprised at how fast your "lazy" hamster jumps and clamps on to the other one (or your finger).

In my years working at pet stores I've only once sold someone two hamsters together and even that time they were very clear that there was a possibility they would need to be seperated. Most people only buy one and the hamster lives out its full life without problems. As long as you're paying enough attention to her, it may be better off to let her be without a companion.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

@keychange; i'm not entirely sure how old she is, but i got her from the petstore back in october, and my roommate guessed they were a few months old by then.

we went to petsmart today and she seemed fine with the other hamsters and i ended up getting one for her. i've been watching the cage and i've only heard loud squeaking a few times but in general they seem to be fine (the new ones pretty lazy and fat too lol)

@pogaf; awww poor runt hamster ): mmm yeah if worse comes to worse, i guess i'll have to go back and return the new hamster (who i've named toblerone hehe)

in the pet store when we held both of them together and tested them both in the cage they were fine so we decided to just see how they get along. if i return toblerone then i'll just make sure to play with pudding a lot.

Tags
dead, hamsters, sad, sick?