My hamster doesn't do ANYTHING! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

My hamster doesn't do ANYTHING!

So I had Shamrock since Monday.
Well he has to be the most boring hamster ever.
All he does is sleep!

He ignores the wheel,the tubes..everything.I stay up late and he will get up,walk around abit,eat and go back to bed.I have tried handling him and he jumps.He don't bite or anything,but he is very nervous when handled.The guy told me he handled them,so I am assuming Shamrock is just still nervous about his surroundings.

My last hamster was always up in the night used his wheel and everything.He was always at something! I know I shouldn't compare them,as they are both individuals with separate personalities...but what kind of life is that? Only sleeping and eating? He has toys and a wheel and do not touch them.

He isn't ill and appears healthy...do you think this is a phase? (yes I know hamsters sleep alot)...???

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM
Hello Earthling

Maybe he is just lazy?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Younger hamsters will sleep a *lot*. Then eventually they'll start merging their sleep schedule with yours, and they'll wake up when you're up and about so they get a few hours of play time with you before you go to bed. My hamsters usually woke up about 5 - 5:30 pm on the dot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Hello Earthling

You could get him one of those edible couches and a little hamster TV. That would be so cute

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
You could get him one of those edible couches and a little hamster TV. That would be so cute
lol love your sense of humour
as everyone has said really young hamsters sleep a lot do you know his exact age ? is he eating and drinking properly ?

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

That makes sense.
He is young...he is about 8-9 weeks now.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
is a little "special"

Are you sure he even knows how to use the wheel?
With some of the hamsters we adopted, we actually had to teach them how to use it, because they just didnt get the concept of it on their own. But once they figured it out, they loved it!
If he didnt have a wheel in his other home, then he might need a little help!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Call me dumb,but I didn't even think of that!
That also makes sense.I will show him and see if he can figure it out.I know my other hamster was a nut for his wheel.I also have a hamster ball here which I have not tried yet,so I am going to put him in that later and see how he does!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
is a little "special"

LOL! Hope it goes well!
I would just put the hamster in the wheel, and turn it slowly so they walk in it. Just do that for a couple of minutes, and see if he catches on!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."