My hamster had babies, what now? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

My hamster had babies, what now?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it was my best guess. We got two female Chinese Dwarf Hamsters from the pet store. I found it odd they kept the girls and the boys in the same place, but they said they were too young to have babies. About 4/6 days after we brought them home, one of them had her babies. I only know of two that she had, is this a oddly undersized litter? But back on topic, about three days later, Rose, the other one, had 8 babies, a much larger litter then Daisy's. Both parents did well, but over all Rose(8 babies) did/is doing much better then Daisy. Daisy took care of her babies, and stayed with them, but she walked around the cage alot. and at night ran on her wheel. I then noticed that I only saw one hamster of hers, so without scaring her or her baby, I searched the cage. I then, sadly found that the baby was by himself, he must have hung onto her when she ran out, and fallen off, and the poor thing must have dug himself deeper, and waited for her to come back, which sadly she never did. He was still alive, but starving and weak, so I put him back(without touching him) as fast as I could. I was worried that she may eat him, but she did not. The poor thing could barley nurse, and he soon died. I named him Sweety, and I still do not know his gender. His sibling is around two weeks now, but has still not opened his eyes, but has started eating solid food. Rose, on the other hand, is a GREAT parent. She stays with her babies, and each time she goes out for a break, she makes sure they are off of her. At night she will run on her wheel, and then after a few minutes she will go back to her babies for a few minutes, and then back to the wheel. Not one of her babies seem sick, but there is somthing odd. When one of them was born, his/her skin was a lot darker then the others, although now that they have fur I can't tell who it is anymore. They all will sometimes walk around, nose at the food bowl, explore, and search out their mother. Which is a slight issue, because she just can't keep up with all of them at once, so I help her out a bit. She trusts my hand, in her mind she has worked out "Hand = food" which means I can go to her nest and give her things she needs to eat for her babies. Although sadly she has nipped my hand a couple of times, because, well remeber, "Hand = food." I also find it very cute how all of the babies stack on top of eachother, and take turns at being at the top. Because this is her first litter, I thought she would not do well, but she has done great. We got them each their own cages, because they had started fighting, and I had no idea why until I saw it start. Daisy had gone on a walk, and Rose had taken over(she had not gived birth yet) and sat on her babies for her(they do that? Or was that her motherly instincts kicking in too early?) And the babies would try to nurse with her, which would make her very mad, and she would run out of the next screaming, leaving a very scared and confused baby on the ground. Daisy would rush in, hearing the screaming and attack Rose, which brought on big fights, and even blood was drawn, so we got them a new cage.

Now, I need advice on what to do, can anyone help? Feel free to tell me anything you want, or ask me anything, I want what is best for the babies, even though we had no idea they were coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I think one of my hamster cages may have had a coupe of fleas, and I have NO idea how they got there, they might have come from the pet store, which is simply shocking. When I saw a couple of the nasty critters hanging around the food bowl, I quickly cleaned the cage and got new food, any ideas how to get rid of them if they came back? Or if they were fleas at all?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

If it was by the food it probably wasn't flees...are they brown and beetle like? I have had those get into the food. I now keep my food in an AIR TIGHT container so they don't get in. They are quite the pain, but harmless. They could have been flees, but I am guessing they were the little moth bugs. Sorry I don't know much else on dwarf hamster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.
I don't think they were weables(think that is what you are talking about) because my mom said one of them flew.
Also...sort of an akward question, can female hamsters, after mating, store...you know what?(immatureness ftw?) because I think some gerbils can. The reason I ask is because the one with eight babies looks a little chubby, although she might be, quite simply, a little chubby.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
Thanks for the info.
I don't think they were weables(think that is what you are talking about) because my mom said one of them flew.
Also...sort of an akward question, can female hamsters, after mating, store...you know what?(immatureness ftw?) because I think some gerbils can. The reason I ask is because the one with eight babies looks a little chubby, although she might be, quite simply, a little chubby.
Gerbils can't retain sperm but rats can
I don't think hamsters can either but i'm not 100% about that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!
Really? Gerbils can't? Well I must have misread it. I think I knew about the rat thing too.
I tried looking it up, but it does not say anywhere.

Tags
baby hamster help, baby hamsters, hamster babies