My hamster is ill- bleeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Bia
Newborn Pup

My hamster is ill- bleeding

Hi,

I would very much appreciate any suggestion since my hamster is ill and it seems that there's nothing I can do about it.

I have a one and a half old Syrian - white with gray ears- named Rica. About a month ago, I noticed that she started wetting her fur when she peed and didn't smell very nicely, but didn't worry too much about it - it's my first hamster. Last Sunday though, she started scratching her fur so I rushed her to the vet, assuming some sort of parasite.

The vet examined her, said there's nothing on her skin, but there was a lump in the inguinal area, on her belly. He told me it must be an abscess. He took the puss- by squirting it out- and put her on antibiotics - don't ask me what kind because I don't know-, and I took her home where I cleaned the area with Bethadine (it's a solution used for cleaning wounds after surgery, don't know if it's available in your countries). She was given antibiotics for 5 days, injections, but the so called wound kept collecting pus and also slightly bled (I noticed it on her fur and the odor was obvious). I said the so called abscess because there is nothing I could see, no mark, no wound nothing.

So I started researching it and I found some info regarding Pyrometra. Then, as I was cleaning her private parts I noticed that a drop of blood mixed with pus came out from her vagina. Also, there was some sort of mucus coming out, something like placenta, but gray in color. I rushed her again to the vet today after the Easter holiday. He's not sure about the pyro because there's an obvious little lump - like a peas- in that area. He put her on antibiotics again after squirting out some more liquid. He seems reluctant about surgery and hopes she'll get better.

She stained her fur again, the smell went away a little bit....but I don't know what to do. There are other vets available, but they offer poor services and to be honest they only know stuff about cats and dogs.

I am really afraid Rica might die, though she is eating, is quite active- less than before-, doesn't drink excesivly, pees and poops normally and doesn't seem to be in pain.

Additional info: the skin on her belly turned a little blue, but the doctor said it's due to the maneuvers of trying to hold her down for the examination.

So please, help. Any suggestion is more than welcomed.

Bia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Betta Bomb

I'm sorry to hear about little Rica. If the vet caused her tummy to bruise you should maybe stop taking her there. I never had anything like this happen to my hamsters, I hope little Rica is okay. I would also not go with surgery, it's very hard to keep a small rodent alive after surgery. It's hard to get their veins and stitch them up and stuff. If you feel she is suffering and this problem seems persistant maybe you should think about euthanasia to help end her pain? It's never an easy desicion to make but if it's for the best. . .
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Playful Pup

I'm sorry to hear your hammie is ill =[
My first thought is tumor. Assuming the lump and the vaginal discharge/bleeding are related it sounds like a tumor on the uterus or other reproductive organ. Tumors aren't filled with pus, but it might be possible that Rica's scratching caused an infection on the area of the lump.
Pyometra could be a possibility, but I think there would be excessive discharge and bleeding from her Vagina. Plus, her uterus would be swollen. Even so that still wouldn't explain the lump.

Other than those two things (plus the original diagnosis) I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

I would be very skeptical of this particular vet if restraint caused bruising, especially if there could be something internally wrong with Rica. Finding vets who treat pocket/"exotic" pets is very difficult, finding a /good/ pocket pet vet is even harder.
Good luck! I hope your ham gets better!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sophie the pitbull <3
Jayma the Holland Lop <3
Mariska the Holland Lop <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Bia
Newborn Pup

The find another vet part is VERY difficult.

I am from Romania, people over here don't take their children to the doctors due to the bill, physicians blame every mild affection on the flu and prescribe antibiotics for runny noses etc.

With all this being said, I'm a freak worrying about the hamster. There are 5-8 vets in my town and all they see are cats and dogs - usually with severe bites, bleeding, diarrhea, opened wounds from car accidents-. I'm not saying that their training isn't adequate but they rarely see out of the ordinary cases. People over here don't care about their pets; they either let them die on their own or put them to sleep themselves (a blow in the head is a very effective method).

I've taken Rica to the best vet available. It's impossible to find a better one within 400 km. I had a guinea pig a couple of years ago, Rontzi, and I found a lump - the size of a nut - on his belly, took him to a vet near my place. The guy looked at him from a distance - claiming rodents are icky - said he would die, nothing could be done. I was in shock. I emptied a tank of gas by driving around to all the vets and eventually found this guy who gave Rontzi an ultrasound and found that the lump - which had grown to the size of a orange - was an abscess. He drained it, gave my guinea pig a course of antibiotics and the lived for for more years to the age of 7 and 3 months.

Now, about Rica: took her to the vets' today, the lump got a bit smaller, gave her another Enrofloxacin shot and said that if there's no improvement by Friday he would operate. She had a little dinner last night, but still sleeps a lot. When I woke her up to feed her, she licked my hand....:X. I really do hope for the best, since she is not in any pain and her discharge isn't as heavy as before.

Last edited by Bia; 04-27-2011 at 02:46 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Betta Bomb

Aw, best of luck. There's nothing worse than paying a professional to tell you your pet will die O.o That's rough. I hope little Rica get better, if she's got the will Let us know how it goes ^^
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
Adolescent Pup

it sounds like something internal, and as for the puss and blood, if it keeps comeing back, and causes problems, i would stop it there and put her down, i had too on mine, the lump kept growing, everytime, even after 2 operations!! It just wouldnt go, and i couldnt put her under again, also anibiotics, wouldnt doing nothing, so i only had one and the best option. . Best off luck!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Bia
Newborn Pup

Rica had surgery today. The lump was an enclosed abscess. She also had pyometria: the ovaries were the size of marbles, or better said somewhat bigger than hazelnuts.

Everything went fine, she woke up from the anesthesia, wobbled about and then suddenly fell asleep. She died, peacefully asleep.

May she be happier in hamster heaven.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 AM
Adolescent Pup

I'm so sorry!!! At least she passed away like that.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Betta Bomb

Aw, rest in peace. Sorry for your loss. I would not risk surgery on such a small animal. My thoughts go out to you
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Bia
Newborn Pup

Thank you for all your support.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Playful Pup

I'm soo sorry :C RIP Rica...

The Gang!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RIP MOJO
<3

The 'Goo's

The Terminator Fish~ Backwards Eddie
& more!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
Newborn Pup

Tags
bleeding, hamster, illness