My Hamster keeps sneezing :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

My Hamster keeps sneezing :(

I have a Syrian hamster whom I've taken to the vet two times for her sneezing. The first time he gave her an antibiodic to take every 12 hours, and the second time a cordazon shot.

Her sneezes have reduced, but she's still sneezing. I was thinking she's possibly allergic to her food. She's eating a nutriphase mix of seeds and pellets.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What kind of bedding do you use? It's quite possibly she's allergic to it.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:14 PM

Yeah, I agree that it could be the bedding more than the food. Avoid pine and cedar beddings, if you are using any of these, change it immediately. If you are using some other bedding, then, I suggest that you change it to another safe bedding. The most hypo-allergenic bedding out there is corncob, but you have to watch it as it can easily mold. You could also use shredded computer paper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

She used to have Aspen, but now she has Carefresh.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with everyone else i would first check its not the bedding she is allergic to then i would look at other things in the environment that could cause an allergy. Did she sneeze before you changed her bedding or is it something thats come about since the change to carefresh?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

She was sneezing when we had the Aspen bedding. Then I changed it to Carefresh, but she was still sneezing.

I just really think it could be her food because as I type, she's digging in her food dish and just sneezed.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluehair
She was sneezing when we had the Aspen bedding. Then I changed it to Carefresh, but she was still sneezing.

I just really think it could be her food because as I type, she's digging in her food dish and just sneezed.
What brand of food is it? Is it dusty?

It could be because of food dust but the food really shouldn't be dusty in the first place. If it is, it's time to switch to something of higher quality.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 08:41 PM

I read somewhere a few years ago that there was some problems with Aspen, I don't remember what. I used it for a few months and never had any problems with it expect it would shed everywhere in my clothes my furniture, so that is basically why I use carefresh.

I heard that when rats get nervous they sneeze, but I don't know if this is so w/hamsters.

I hope she feels better soon.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

So i went out and bought Green Pets Clean N Comfy corn cob bedding. However, now she's trying to eat it.

Tags
corn cob, corn cob bedding, syrian hamster