Is my hamster tamed? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Is my hamster tamed?

I have had my hamster for 10 days exact today.
Not sure how old she is, but she is a sable syrian and she always just sleeps in her tunnel or tower thing. Doesn't really run in her wheel during the day but only at night. Doesn't really come into the main compartment of the Habitrail ovo just in the tunnels and sections. She will only come out if I lure her with a seed/treet then she comes out and I have lured her onto my hand with it. She doesn't really bite whenever I wash my hands, she doesn't jump whenever she is in my hands or really run away too quick just sort walks around on my hands and on my lap. The only thing that's happened was she peed on me twice.

So my question is, is she tamed? on her way of being tamed? any suggestions. Do hamsters get more active as they get older? Will she learn to come to me without a treat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Hello Earthling

Hamsters are nocturnal. You are not going to see her running on her wheel or really doing anything but sleeping during the day.

If she isn't biting you or trying to bite, running away etc... she is well on her way to being tamed.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

will she learn to come to me without a treat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

So long as you give her reason to. Don't break her trust, is what I'm saying.

Also; I must disagree with hamsters remaining nocturnal; they are nocturnal, yes, but whenever I had hamsters, they always woke up early so I could pick them up and play with them,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Betta Bomb

I guess years of having them around as pets will change their natural cycles.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I think she was trying to run away from me but I'm not sure whether it's just her being curious...and she continues to hide away and rarely eats in front of me :S
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
So long as you give her reason to. Don't break her trust, is what I'm saying.

Also; I must disagree with hamsters remaining nocturnal; they are nocturnal, yes, but whenever I had hamsters, they always woke up early so I could pick them up and play with them,
They can adapt to your schedule but they are naturally nocturnal.

My hamster slept most of the day and ran all night.... stupid wheel

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Betta Bomb

My super old hamster Puff I had when I was 17 was addicted to his wheel as well.. When I got Button 3 or 4 years ago I was after researching then a bit more and so I did not allow him to become wheel obsessed. It is detrimental to the lifestyle a hamster should have where it wanders and explores and forages for food. A wheel-obsessed hamster will no longer find pleasures in doing this.
Re-reading the original post, hmm... Here's a video of my little Button on the bed running the same path over and over, he always did this and I found it fascinating to watch! Get your hammie used to you this way, I DO NOT advise against the kitty prop!!! lol That cat did want to kill my hamster but unseen to the camera I kept petting kitty and making him aware that I would intervene in what would have been a perfect attack! o.o << as a side note, that was my old house where I lived with my cousin who kept 7-9 cats at any one time so they were always kind of not-cat like as a result>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdnG9sVwjWY
And here's a link I found on basic care and socialization. http://www.animalloversweb.com/artic..._hamsters.html
I find the best thing to do with hamsters is to respect their space and just keep them interested in things. Create fun and new exciting things to climb! Bird toys, rope, sisal and ladders are all great combinations to set up the cage and renew it every couple of nights. I used to re-design Buttons 3 storey cage every 2 nights and I only used a food bowl for fruit to keep it from sticking to the shavings. I always ALWAYS scattered his supper throughout his shavings to find or in corners and such when he came out to play.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Adolescent Pup

My hamster is tamed but he still runs off he he smells freedom, its their natural behaviour you just keep an eye on her when shes out and about

Tags
hamster