My landlord is going to have my place sprayed Monday.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

My landlord is going to have my place sprayed Monday..

it is now mandatory in the apartments that I live in that all of them get sprayed every month for bugs. I am so worried about my hamster and gerbils. And I have no choice of this. We are very clean people too, and never seen any bugs here except one spider.

I plan to put my pets in another room and put a towel under the door when they spray. I am just wonder if they will be ok, and how long do I have to keep them in the seperate room, I am thinking atleast 2 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:15 PM

How much and where are they spraying. a lot of places actually spray the whole perimder of the house, including most rooms. If you have access to a room that doesn't need spraying ya definitely put them in there but if they are in cages they shouldn't be too bad. Usually they only spray on the floor, and i have had my house sprayed for ants with both my cats home and wandering around. I'm guessing its not too toxic to animals or atleast larger ones. If anything try calling your vet and just asking what he would suggest.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Smilingrl19. My boyfriend says he has lived in these apartments before and they just sprayed in two small areas.

I remember when I lived in Massachusetts, there was a cock roach problem due to other tenants in the building of the condo I lived in. And someone came in and sprayed, and I had hamsters at the time, and the guy just sprayed in one area and my hamsters were fine.

I plan to move the gerbils in my bedroom closet, and Arabella some where in my bedroom, and I will put a towel under the door, and I will wait a few hours to put them back. I hope I have the day off so I can supervise over this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Honestly, if i were you i would take them some place else, or do some research or maybe call the company and ask. I know if you bomb a house, you don't want anything that lives inside. In my opinion if it was my pets, I would take them out of the house altogether.

*Missy*
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pinkie. I will see if they can go to my boyfriends mom's house. But they are going to be doing this every month. They were supposed to do this all along, but my landlady was too cheap to pay the bug man, and this was a good thing for me.

I suspect that she did have the place sprayed once when I was not home when I first moved here. Because my gerbils were lythargic for about a week, then they perked up and were fine again.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Maybe you can ask her what company she is using and what kind of stuff they use to spray. All I know is when you bomb a house for fleas, you have to leave your pets outside and it takes a few hours for the stuff to clear. I'm not to sure, the spray might be less potent. You could also ask where they spray, and you can probably leave the gerbils in another room (like the bathroom) and just put a towel under the door.

*Missy*
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

I just hope to have the day off Monday so I can ask all these questions. I know my boyfriend can ask them for me, but I would feel much better asking them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 05:08 PM

I think your making a good decision by removing them from the house but i don't think there would be a problem with them in your bedroom, I would maybe just give it a little more then a few hours. They aren't bombing they are just spraying which is controlled where it sprayed as long as your animals dont come into contact with those areas they shoulkd be fine. good luck
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

My boyfriends mom use to live in the same apartment complex as we do, she told my boyfriend today that they just spray two little skirts and it is hardly anything at all and you can barely even smell it. So that makes me feel better. So I decided I will just put them in the bedroom for most of the day tomorrow. And I have tomorrow off so I can ask the bug man a million questions before he/she does it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:33 AM Thread Starter

Well, before I could ask the bug man a million questions he was done. He did one ity bity puff of the stuff and that was it. I am so happy, and he didn't even go near where I keep my pets even though they were in another room at the time. All my pets are doing great.