My "Male" gerbil in a new mommy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

My "Male" gerbil in a new mommy

About two weeks ago I went to the pet store and got what i thought was three male gerbils. Named Teddy, Joey, and Ralph. So imagine my suprise when I go to check on them and there are two pink babies lying in the cage. Turns out Teddy is a girl!

I am assuming that the father is either Ralph or Joey, and if that is the case would the gerbil who isn't the father be a threat to the babies? Also should i leave the boys with the mom and babies? Also im pretty sure they are all from the same litter, so how bad is that for the babies health wise?

I've had four gerbils before this bunch and they are always interesting, but this by far takes the cake. If anyone could help answer my questions that would be veeerrrry helpful cause i'm freaking out a little...or a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 06:46 AM
Rodentologist

I would not leave them together becuase if they haven't already re-impregnated the mother, they will ASAP.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 07:18 AM
the rodent lover<3

Hi!
That's a real pleasant surprise, haha.
Anyhow, you have to separate the males because they can impregnate mommy again which in my eyes could be very stressful. If you're worried about mommy being alone then you can wait until the pinkies grow up (if you plan keeping them!) and sex them, find out if you have any girls and keep the girls with mommy.

Now this is what I think:
If you have any male babies, once they're weaned you can introduce them to the other 2 males, using the split cage method.

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~