My new Gerbils - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Gerbil & Hamster Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all things gerbil or hamster related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

My new Gerbils

Here they are Monte my stunning Red Eyed White, and Carlo my adorable Champagne.

I am not a ruby/red eyed animal fan what so ever, but I could not say no to Monte. He is pure white, no tinting or shading just white on white. He has amazing red eyes also.

And little Carlo (you can see what I mean by little, he's tiny!)

Carlo may molt into more of a BEW, which i am hoping for

"Are you My Daddy?" - "Heck No!"

"Hey old Man! come up here and groom me!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 PM

Awwwe, so cute!! I love them when they are that small.

Carlo is so handsome!

The spotted Lilac one is so cute, I had a couple of those before.

You are so lucky to have so many cute gerbils!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 AM

They are very cute what kind of gerbils do you have? they look different from mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Deana-
They are very cute what kind of gerbils do you have? they look different from mine.
They are Mongolians, so same type, just different colours

Chevy i thought was a Dove for the longest time, but as he has aged he's gotten darker, so i take it he's a saffire.

All three boys are good friends now. I'm so happy to see Chevy bonding with his new little buddies, he's been lonley and wanting more gerbil attention since his brother died.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:21 PM

They are so adorable!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 02:32 PM

Too cute!!! I love them!!!! 8)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:32 PM

They're all so adorable!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:56 PM

awww cute gerbils! Hard to resist
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 04:28 AM

They are beautiful. Carlo is even smaller than mine were when I got them. I've only had them a month or two and they have already grown so much! Do you get your gerbils from a breeder or does your pet shop just have a lot of unusual colourings?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2006, 06:56 AM

They are so cute. ^_^ I'm glad to hear they are all getting along well, too.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 01:42 PM

What beautiful gerbils. I love the coloring. I personally have trouble finding anything other than gray, white and brown. -Shrugs- Oh well. I was thinking of getting my gerbil, Danny, either a mate or friend. The reason I was thinking of getting a mate is that I've bred before, and that it's easier to introduce female and male gerbils than it is to introduce two males...Or so I've heard and experienced.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becs
They are beautiful. Carlo is even smaller than mine were when I got them. I've only had them a month or two and they have already grown so much! Do you get your gerbils from a breeder or does your pet shop just have a lot of unusual colourings?
I have a friend who has been breeding gerbils for 20+ years, and she has amazing animals. She is going to stop breeding them though as she has been able to produce almost every colour but blue (we don't have that here in N America 'yet').
So I'm very lucky to have someone like her so close by, other breeders fly here to get gerbils from her.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting my gerbil, Danny, either a mate or friend. The reason I was thinking of getting a mate is that I've bred before, and that it's easier to introduce female and male gerbils than it is to introduce two males...Or so I've heard and experienced.
lies, all lies LOL....
Two males is MUCH easier. if you get a 5-7 week old pup and split cgae them, I'm sure you can have them intro's in less then a week.
These two little guys I intro'ed in 2 days with Chevy who is 2.5 years old.
girl gerbils can be nasty with introductions, I've had tails & toes go missing on a few gerbils in split cage intos, even with PUPS.

Plus once u start breeding you will have 4-9 pups every 28 days, sure add's up quickly. And if your gerbil is pet store stock you don't know it's background and it could carry a underlining health problem that it could pass onto it's pups.

Getting 2 young male pups like i have has worked out well. I got two b/c when Chevy passes away they will still have one another and not be loney, and I won't need to split cage again.
If you check out the American Gerbil Society's web page (AGS) they have a breeders listing, you could try and find someone in your area if you wanted more exotic colours.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 04:07 PM

very cute! ive never seen a red eyed gerbil before... makes me want one seeing those pics
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:20 PM

I suppose I also wanted to create Danny a small family. Basically, maybe I could breed he and one female and then separate the males and females into two different cages? I have like 5 free cages so far....
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 12:46 PM

aw carlo is adorable
the little white one reminds me of my freddie r.i.p

Tags
pet shop, pet store, red eyes, split cage